Crystal press advise needed

Thanks oldhippy, this is my "Jack the Gripper" in the photo - can I use this shape of "fingers" for real glass as well? When tightened too much, it grips so hard that it punches holes into the side of plastic crystals :)

Can I use this tool for domed real glasses?

PS Yes, I have a useless chinese as well, it has lasted for 10 watches, now every crystal slips out of the fingers. 

jack the gripper.jpg

Edited by rappeleur
  • Like 1

So... There is no way putting my glasses with my tool into place. The mounting device is too high, the glass doesn't stand high enough for gripping. 

But even when picked up from a flat surface, the tool always slips from the glass. The glass has a tilted border (see photos). 

Wrong tool / wrong glass /wrong technique?

20180217_214409-1.jpg

20180217_214432-1.jpg

Think there is a misunderstanding of the tool required here. Firstly "Mark has done some great video's on the removal and fitting of various crystals. Suggest you look them up on YouTube.
It's inappropriate to use an arcrylic crystal lifter on mineral or sapphire crystals.
Why have you only flat dyes ? Even inexpensive case and glass press tools come with a selection of dyes, including concave dyes suitable for domed crystals. The problem today will be obtaining jumbo dyes for the modern larger watch but they do come up for sale on various sites.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Yes, this was just what I was thinking! I only have flat dies because I have not bought a better set yet :) hence my question, which one to buy. Perhaps I misinterpreted the above suggestions for my crystal-tool. 

I will have a deeper look into techniques and dies/tools.

Thanks so far!

old hippy is right, but for clarification high dome acrylics = crystal lift, low domes = press, but the method is different from pressing a mineral/sapphire/tension ring, with a low dome acrylic you basically have to use the dies to make the crystal curl in on itself slightly, then slip the case/bezel into position and then release the pressure so that it locks in place to the bezel/case. It's probably been properly demonstrated or explained somewhere around the forum before, but i could just imagine someone trying to puzzle that out from scratch.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would say buy the blue one that actually has the shape of a press. This one can work but if you press too much, since it's a cheap one, it'll break and you might just break your watch as well.

Stick to the blue ones that cost 15$ or whatever... They're not as good as the original ones in that you might get one that is slightly misaligned (from what I could read in some comment) but it'll be better than this one.

4 hours ago, Lc130 said:

I'm a very new beginner hobbyist.  Would this low cost Chinese tool work for removing/installing crystals and pressing on case backs?  

i do not recommend this type because the force is not between pillars and it will lose plane under medium pressure. If you want a screw type make sure that isn't so.

7 minutes ago, jdm said:

i do not recommend this type because the force is not between pillars and it will lose plane under medium pressure. If you want a screw type make sure that isn't so.

I purchase a cheap one ...It did work fine the one time I used it ..I'll enclosed a picture at bottom ...Which one would be a recommend unit if not the one I already have.

Watch press.jpg

2 minutes ago, adiorio110 said:

I purchase a cheap one ...It did work fine the one time I used it ..I'll enclosed a picture at bottom ...Which one would be a recommend unit if not the one I already have.

That is fine because the cast construction is not subject to distortion, and being of the lever type it allows better feeling.

Often what makes the difference is having the correct dies in terms of shape, size and material.

• Like 2

That is fine because the cast construction is not subject to distortion, and being of the lever type it allows better feeling.
Often what makes the difference is having the correct dies in terms of shape, size and material.
Thanks...there is one thing I don't like..depending on the watch if I screw the dies all the way in the dies do not reach ..I put a nut and washer on to extend reach but haven't tried it yet

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This is one type I had. https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/press-dies-robur   expensive used for fitting tension ring glasses

As near as I can find of another type I had for tension ring and flat

This very good glass lift and fitting tool for high dome glasses

Beware of cheap Chinese types. You know they won’t last because of the price. Good tools will last you a lifetime.  

Watch-Press-Tool-5500-A-Watch-Crystal-Press-with-25-Tapered-Dies.jpg_640x640.jpg

59.102.1__66376.1477005695.500.750.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Beware of cheap Chinese types. You know they won’t last because of the price. Good tools will last you a lifetime.  

We have a lot of people here using hand held and bench Chinese presses. No reports of breakage or other problems, generally these are great for beginners. Isn't always necessary to spend a lot on tools. I have an Anchor copy of MKS screw type, works good and has a sturdy build, link is a previous posting in this thread. 

For the ease of finding info I have merged various threads in a pinned topic.

Some generic postings moved to another thread. Please stay on topic: Crystal press advice

• Like 2

• jdm pinned this topic
  • 4 months later...

Has anyone ever used a case press like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GF8721-Snap-Back-Watch-Back-Case-Press-Spiral-Type-Closer-Tool/142877470395?hash=item2144292ebb:g:EwkAAOSwczhbU1CG

It looks reals sturdy from the pictures, but i would like to get someone's first hand experience.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, DavidMasters said:

I have the following one at link, or it's similar—lots of knock-offs from China. It beats spending hundreds if this is a hobby like it is for me.

This is a cheap alternative that works very well.

I don't recommend that one, because the pressing force is not in between the pillars, so it tends to flex. Better to have cast strong body as others that were featured before.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2018 at 4:05 PM, rappeleur said:

Thanks oldhippy, this is my "Jack the Gripper" in the photo - can I use this shape of "fingers" for real glass as well? When tightened too much, it grips so hard that it punches holes into the side of plastic crystals :)

Can I use this tool for domed real glasses?

PS Yes, I have a useless chinese as well, it has lasted for 10 watches, now every crystal slips out of the fingers. 

jack the gripper.jpg

Bergeon or other guality crystal lift do not scratch ths crystal.