Crystal press advise needed

Hello, everyone!

As a general purpose crystal and rear cover press for wrist and pocket watches, what (reasonably priced) press and die sizes would you recommend?

I'm not sure if separate die can be puchased afterwards for any pecific press.

Thanks.

Len.

I have been looking for a good set of these for a while & arrived a few days ago a almost complete set of Robur dies for a Robur press. Had to replace couple that were damaged & also a couple to complete the set. The replacements however are marginally smaller but should work OK.. I will try and repair the damaged dies on my lathe but it might be a difficult task but worth a try. Anyway see pic below.

Robur.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice. I have one myself I picked up some time ago although the press is much older - yours looks pretty new. Some of the bakelite dies with my press were chipped as well but I find I don't often use them , I use the the metal dies instead. I was fortunate enough to get both the straight and curved metal dies for a good price.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Rog

I've got one of those myself, it's very good I think - very expensive new as well. You are missing the square and rectangular dies from along the top and the attachment for pressing crystals out that goes in the bottom left. These were missing from mine as well. You can either buy them new or look for some coming up for sale, which is how I found mine.

Stephen

Edit: just found the post and photos I made for this. I can take another photo of what it looks like now if you want.

http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/2726-new-toy/#comment-26728

Edited by chadders1966
Add information
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, toptime810 said:

Do you think a $10 crystal press on fleabay would do the job?

Sure you can use an inexpensive crystal press...I have one with the curved metal base and aluminum dies with a few teflon bases for pressing  casebacks They work pretty good but be careful not to put too much pressure or you'll break the crystal and possibly damage watch case.

JC

16 hours ago, chadders1966 said:

Hi Rog

I've got one of those myself, it's very good I think - very expensive new as well. You are missing the square and rectangular dies from along the top and the attachment for pressing crystals out that goes in the bottom left. These were missing from mine as well. You can either buy them new or look for some coming up for sale, which is how I found mine.

Stephen

Edit: just found the post and photos I made for this. I can take another photo of what it looks like now if you want.

http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/2726-new-toy/#comment-26728

Wow . Yours look to be in a slightly better condition then mine. But nevertheless i think i got a really nice price. Paid only about £170 or $240 for the lot.  I didn't dare to wait? So i just buy it now price. Instead of risking missing it. The small dies for pressing out i am sure i can do without or find something else to press out with. Square dies i seldom use. 

Edited by rogart63

Hi all,

First off I would like to thank those who offered me previous advice.  It has helped me greatly.

OK, for my actual question.  I have a GS Flexo vintage crystal press set that is complete and I would like to utilize it for pressing in an Omega plastic crystal on a vintage seamaster Cal 601.  This is the PX5000 crystal with INNER tension ring.  Will this press work OK or should I invest in a modern press with screw on dies that are tapered for the tension ring crystal?  I was thinking about pulling the trigger on the Hortec press set #MSA 06.136.

Any advice would be great.  Thanks again everyone.

dman2112

Looking for a case back/glass press and was looking for opinions.

I have put a few things on eBay and after just selling my first cleaning machine for £180 I now have £180 to spend on a case back press.

I have seen this one below which looks better made than the bergeon 5500 and seems to take all the same dies. Are flume a known quality brand and are they Swiss? Total cost with postage for the flume one is around the £150 mark.

image.png

The other option is the bergeon 5500 which are expensive or the Chinese copy of the bergeon 5500. Has anyone used the Chinese version, they are around £100 but don't want to get one and find they don't line up and sit wonky because it would just be a waste of money for fitting crystals.

Hi oldhippy.  I finally am back home and was abe to take a pic of my GS press.  My concern as mentioned is the use of this press on an Omega crystal with inner tension ring.  Let me know your opinion.  I was trying to avoid buying a more modern press with dies that are tapered for tensioned rung crystals and I usually dont like buying cheap tools so it would be an investment.  Thanks in advance

GS Press.jpg

• Like 1