Crystal press advise needed

On 1/12/2022 at 10:09 PM, TimpanogosSlim said:

I would still say 100% don't buy this model. But if you were saddled with it anyway, and you already have or can beg an M6 helical insert kit, you can make it less worse. 

Good work. However even if perfectly built I still recommend against buying this type, because the design is wrong. You can't have a light, screwed in press where the screw forms a triangle with the two skinny pillars. As soon some force is needed as when fitting certain thick diver's crystals or bezel, it will distort and press unevenly. When the spindle was placed in between pillars that wouldn't happen, below a link to a type made like that, still cheap but at least would work better for sure https://www.ebay.com/itm/291052426947

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Since this particular subject thread already exist, I thought I'd post this here (instead of starting a new thread).

I would like to know if this Bergeon 5500c  8" Crystal Bezel Press Case Back Watch Case Min 1/2"  is a reliable and cost worthy tool to purchase to remove a crystal?

Or would I just be wasting my money and look for something better, quality made?

Is it even a true "Bergeon" tool or a knock-off reproduction?

Anyone here actually owns this specific one?.....and if so would you be kind enough to post your thoughts?...opinions?....reviews?...etc.

Thank you in advance.

evor.com/products/watch-repair-tool-case-snap-back-closing-press-remover-closer-vice-clamp-set?variant=31443873661026&utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=US

5 hours ago, Orhorolgy said:

vevor.com/products/watch-repair-tool-case-snap-back-closing-press-remover-closer-vice-clamp-set

Vevor is possibly the largest Chinese retailer for various machinery, they always have the best price, of course nothing they sell is manufactured outside China. Above I have explained why I recommend against presses where the spindle is not inline with the pillars, or at least have a cast body or sturdy construction. If you go with this one let know how it does.

• Like 1

OK....I see and yes that does make sense now as to why the price(s) is so much cheaper.

I think I will pass on it since, as you previously mentioned, the spindle is not always inline with the pillar and well I really don't want to mess with having to return / ship back an item, etc.

I take it that ordering one of these particular models is a hit or miss, since it's really not guaranteed that it's perfectly alined?

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2016 at 7:41 AM, noirrac1j said:

Sure you can use an inexpensive crystal press...I have one with the curved metal base and aluminum dies with a few teflon bases for pressing  casebacks They work pretty good but be careful not to put too much pressure or you'll break the crystal and possibly damage watch case.

JC

Hello, 

I resume this post to ask a beginner question hoping that some experienced member can give an advice.

I own a cheap Chinese press too (threaded) with some basic dies for casebacks.

Since my work on watches is only an hobby and I rarely fit a glass (like once every 2 months), as of 2022 can someone point me to a complete and not too expensive dies kit that can permit me to fit every type of acrylic and mineral glass?

I would like to buy a die set that I can, if possible, reuse in the future with a better press if my work on crystals becomes more frequent.

I will buy a crystal lift for the high domed. I usually work with 30 to 42 mm case size watches.

Bonus: what about square, oval or tonneau shaped glasses? 

I know that this topic has already been discussed but too many information and a complex "crystals taxonomy" are really confusing me!😅

Thank you very much.

Regards.

I don't know if it will fit every type of acrylic and mineral, but I'm liking this set (M6 threads):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002105232366.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.21ef1802sOTsWP

25pcs-Watch-Capping-Machine-Dies-Back-Cover-Press-Tool-Presser-Closer-Aluminum-Mold-Accessories-Watch-Repair_jpg_Q90.jpg_85.thumb.jpg.b2ad4b17b8954be424659dcba2a68e80.jpg

You will also need domed dies for the acrylic crystals if you don't have them already. I mentioned the ones I got in this post.

Edited by GuyMontag

5 hours ago, EpsilonLyrae said:

Bonus: what about square, oval or tonneau shaped glasses?

My answer can only apply to those with 3D printers.  I have a BB Crystal press and a full set of their aluminum die.  However, I never use them.  I print the die I need on my 3D printer.  Rarely have to print any more because I have printed so many.

Your question about odd shapes--had not thought of that.  But, again, I can solve that with my printer.

2 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi LWS   I take it thet the ones that are printed are the snap on  type.  Might be handy for menbers if you could post the patterns some time, not having a printer I buy them.      cheers

Correct, the BB crystal press uses a non-threaded post with a small spring-loaded bearing that catches the fitting on the top.  Just a post on the bottom.

Are you in the US or on the other side of the pond?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/202714239644?hash=item2f32b5d29c:g:-sUAAOSwdcNdDEAg

I have heard good things about this one. I’ll be clear though, I don’t have one, but there is a YouTube video of an enthusiast using one.

Problem with the lever press is that you are relying on your own strength to press it in. With a Screw press, you have far more control over the pressure.

There are many of these available on Ebay and at retailers. Listing says they will accept generic and Bergeon dies. 

7 minutes ago, NovaScotiaPete said:

I have heard good things about this one.

As I wrote many times before, I do not recommend this type, the shaft is offset from the pillars, it distorts more easily. This one has strong pillars than the supercheap ones, but the issue still exists.

7 minutes ago, NovaScotiaPete said:

Problem with the lever press is that you are relying on your own strength to press it in. With a Screw press, you have far more control over the pressure.

Lots of professionals will tell you exactly the contrary and they have a good point screw conceals the force, no much force should be needed anyway, consequence is, crystal breakage.

Careful with these as there are many some are good some not so good. 

I had different types. Robur was one I had but the dies break easily. These are the others as near as I can find. The one in the last photo I found to be the best type but I can't remember the makers name. 

vintage-watchmaker-watch-glass_360_0fa1191ac4f4f74dfdb0db60d500016f.jpg

590555.jpg

4 hours ago, jdm said:

As I wrote many times before, I do not recommend this type, the shaft is offset from the pillars, it distorts more easily. This one has strong pillars than the supercheap ones, but the issue still exists.

Lots of professionals will tell you exactly the contrary and they have a good point screw conceals the force, no much force should be needed anyway, consequence is, crystal breakage.

Good advice, thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Mark unpinned this topic
  • Mark pinned, unpinned and featured this topic
  • 4 months later...
6 hours ago, dbcher said:

Is it possible to post those stl files (or even the step files)?  Thanks!

Yes and no.  I really do not archive stl files.  What I have done is parameterized the CAD file, so I just enter the parameters and print what I need and discard the stl file.  If you use (or willing to use) FreeCAD, I can send you my source file and you can print to your heart's content.  Would have to email it, or put it on Thingiverse.

3 hours ago, watchweasol said:

being a screw type you can apply controlled force

I can certainly see the utility of this feature.  I always worry using my lever BB Crystal press.

17 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

If you use (or willing to use) FreeCAD, I can send you my source file and you can print to your heart's content.  Would have to email it, or put it on Thingiverse.

Yes, I also use FreeCAD (among a few other CAD programs) so if you could provide that, I would greatly appreciate it.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Birbdad said:

I just picked up a BB press and it seems really nice. What do you guys think of it? Any advice for using it? i'm assumin gi have to put a cloth or something between the dies and the watch to prevent scratching.

I love mine. I have a full set of aluminum die, but I 3d print custom PLA die. I don't need cloth protection

9 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I love mine. I have a full set of aluminum die, but I 3d print custom PLA die. I don't need cloth protection

I saw that, taht's interesting. Why do you 3d print them instead of using the aluminum ones? just to avoid the chance of marring?