SamGP

Hi There 

I am new to the forum and am an amateur collector. I am primarily interested in wristwatches made in the UK and pretty much anywhere other than Switzerland :-).

I am from Scotland so I particularly like Timex and Westclox models. Sad I know but somebody has got to love them :-)

I am learning to service and repair the watches myself with the help of Mr Lovick's excellent videos and some head scratching. Im no horologist but am a qualified Automotive Engineer and am currently studying a Masters in renewable energy systems so fully appreciate the engineering that goes into them. 

I will update some photos of my watches when I get the chance. 

Best, Sam

On 3/6/2018 at 8:09 PM, SamGP said:

Hi There 

I am new to the forum and am an amateur collector. I am primarily interested in wristwatches made in the UK and pretty much anywhere other than Switzerland :-).

I am from Scotland so I particularly like Timex and Westclox models. Sad I know but somebody has got to love them :-)

I am learning to service and repair the watches myself with the help of Mr Lovick's excellent videos and some head scratching. Im no horologist but am a qualified Automotive Engineer and am currently studying a Masters in renewable energy systems so fully appreciate the engineering that goes into them. 

I will update some photos of my watches when I get the chance. 

Best, Sam

Be careful about Timex watches, as they tend to multiple and take up more and more space!  Not that I would know anything about that!

DSC05582.thumb.JPG.e45126caabeffb7fb0d2f37ce074c8aa.JPGDSC05580.thumb.JPG.e28a41eb33e98b1fc08338c685a388bf.JPGDSC05583.thumb.JPG.5eba5d33cd9de11e76c8fab6f5e2dd8b.JPGDSC05586.thumb.JPG.0d39087c5979270a39587a58bd47d554.JPG

• Like 3

Welcome, that's an interesting topic, renewables. I've come to like Timex as well, never worked on em. Heard the older models you're not able to work on them.I want to get some of the older ones anyway because I like the look and especially the price point.

Edited by Mattaphysics
Forgot to mention OP topic

Yeah, even Mark is spreading a bit of disinformation about 'rivets'. 
There is servicing info for older Timex here -
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-IKHN7WFKiwY3JMMDJnMld2SE0?usp=sharing
if you're interested.
Oh! Many thanks, I figured there had to be a way to work on them. Only swatch would make something like that lol. But it's interesting that my opinion of Timex was always equated with lower quality but now that I look at the older ones I see they had many great timepieces.

Do they still make mechanicals? I haven't seen any, but it would be interesting to look at them. I've been looking at many older models and they really had fantastic workhorses and they're extremely affordable, which helps for me.

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk

Yes, Timex does have modern mechanical movement watches.  They are very different from the old base 24 and 31 models.  Mostly because they are true jeweled movements albeit they are made in China.

So stick with those from 1960 - 1975 and you will find many great and affordable watches.  Don't hesitate to ask for help with them.