Watchmaking apprentices training

Find below an interesting article from my local newspaper "re- UK Watchmaking apprenticeships". 

"Watchmaking apprentices training 'by the end of the year' after industry secures top level of government funding"

The UK's first watchmaking apprentices in a generation should be training by the end of the year after a business in the county helped secure government funding for the scheme.
Industry leaders have spent three years developing what will be a one to two-year apprenticeship course, which will be eligible for the maximum £27,000 grant to help pay for training providers, assessors and to incentivise employers.
Matt Bowling, a director at Watchfinder, a pre-owned luxury watch retailer based in Maidstone, has been a key member of the team developing the course under the government's trailblazer partnership, which sees industry professionals design training.

The UK's first watchmaking apprentices in a generation should be training by the end of the year after a business in the county helped secure government funding for the scheme.
Industry leaders have spent three years developing what will be a one to two-year apprenticeship course, which will be eligible for the maximum £27,000 grant to help pay for training providers, assessors and to incentivise employers.
Matt Bowling, a director at Watchfinder, a pre-owned luxury watch retailer based in Maidstone, has been a key member of the team developing the course under the government's trailblazer partnership, which sees industry professionals design training.

The luxury watch market is worth £1 billion in the UK each year and Mr Bowling thinks the pre-owned market is worth "at least as much".
Yet there are few training opportunities for people interested in entering the industry, apart from courses with the British School of Watchmaking in Manchester and a horology degree at Birmingham City University.
Mr Bowling aims to take on two apprentices at Watchfinder once the watchmaking course is formally launched, with potential to hire more as the business grows.
Although a training provider has not yet been appointed for the courses, he hopes it can be made a City and Guilds qualification and is in talks with the body.
He said: "There is a desperate shortage of watchmakers.
"The reason I wanted to get into this is because there is a shortage of training opportunities.
"If you are a good watchmaker you will always find employment and it's well paid."

• Like 2

One to two-year apprenticeship course. Not long enough back in the early 70's it was 5 years apprenticeship and another 2 years as an improver. You could if you so wished serve your improving skills at a different place of work.  I stayed put as my master was going retire and I would have the workshop to myself.

Its nice that a revival is taking place

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

One to two-year apprenticeship course. Not long enough back in the early 70's it was 5 years apprenticeship and another 2 years as an improver. You could if you so wished serve your improving skills at a different place of work.  I stayed put as my master was going retire and I would have the workshop to myself.

Its nice that a revival is taking place

Times (excuse pun) have changed.I served a 5 year printing apprenticeship but now it is a one or two year training due to technology making printing easier with less skill required. However horology still seems to need a great deal of skill & knowledge so maybe 2 years will not be enough.

They offer training courses at my watchmaking school in London. We had many apprentices from Clerkenwell shops turn up for the beginners watch repair course (funded by their employers) but many stopped turning up after a few months, or buggered about when we were meant to be learning.

I'm currently studying for a BHI technician grade course at the moment. They cover more of the overall theory rather than just cleaning and assembling modern watches. A lot of students don't seem interested in the metallurgy and other scientific topics which I thought was odd. Many of them thought the bottom of a flame from a spirit lamp was the hottest point, which makes me worry about the standard of Science education these days.

They offer training courses at my watchmaking school in London. We had many apprentices from Clerkenwell shops turn up for the beginners watch repair course (funded by their employers) but many stopped turning up after a few months, or buggered about when we were meant to be learning.
I'm currently studying for a BHI technician grade course at the moment. They cover more of the overall theory rather than just cleaning and assembling modern watches. A lot of students don't seem interested in the metallurgy and other scientific topics which I thought was odd. Many of them thought the bottom of a flame from a spirit lamp was the hottest point, which makes me worry about the standard of Science education these days.

Hi mate, are you at Epping Forest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish we had something like that in U.S. Yeah there's a Patek Phillipe apprenticeship in NYC but you need experience and apply then I think they only pick like one person. There aren't really any watchmakers or a watch shop, at least not in my area. I've looked for apprenticeships on the net but no luck. I would jump at the chance to apprentice.