Nato straps?

Hi

Every site I look at people seem to rant on about Nato straps. I cant see the attraction of them.

I now its each unto his own, but For me I cant see how they complement a nice watch.

I suppose I should buy one and try it.

Any one got any views on this subject?

Hi
Every site I look at people seem to rant on about Nato straps. I cant see the attraction of them.
I now its each unto his own, but For me I cant see how they complement a nice watch.
I suppose I should buy one and try it.
Any one got any views on this subject?

Hi I ware mine every day and have done for years it’s the most comfortable strap I have

17808de2858f90286518667524e28b9f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it partly depends on the watch, they suite military style watches like... well, funnily enough, i was going to say CWC's. In my collection, I have an all black CWC with black nato and it looks exactly like something you'd see on a SWAT team members' wrist or something like that. Certainly, a bracelet or leather strap would not suite it, it has solid lugs besides so fitting anything else is difficult. 

I have a few which I wear on bigger watches mostly because I have more watches than bands/bracelets. They're cheap and convenient.

Using a NATO strap on a daily watch can mark the caseback so if the watch is collectable or if you're **BLEEP** about these things it would be something to consider.

Anilv

As has been said NATO straps shouldn't be used on any type of watch.

Wearing a vintage 1950s Omega Seamaster on a NATO will probably look pretty bad. Now, if you're wearing a military CWC then things are different.

One advantage of NATO straps is that on the long term you won't wear the case back much because of the layer of fabric between it and your wrist. It also helps if you have allergic reactions to some metals.

1 hour ago, Chopin said:

One advantage of NATO straps is that on the long term you won't wear the case back much because of the layer of fabric between it and your wrist. 

Actually almost all NATO straps mark the caseback, especially Perlon ones. Another issue is that they further raise thick cases.

Yet, many people are crazy about them, to the point of replacing high quality bracelets and fine leather straps.

Yes, the straps do cause a slight mark on case backs, but i'm not sure how much it compares to erosion due to sweat.

It can be a benefit for plated-brass cases to have them elevated away from the skin. Sometimes (ex-military) brass cases get very corroded when worn on open-ended leather straps. I know this because I'm a very big collector!

I don't always choose NATO straps. Sometimes they don't work, other times they really fit the bill. I am not a big fan of random mixed colors but that is just me.

One example, Fortis with black leather, white stitch looked ok but, for me, fine weave black NATO with perfectly matching satin hardware made the watch pop. This is my most precious watch so the extra security is quite welcome.

f2bdef1b80a45a0f1976d689cc070abc.jpg

Another example is a Timex Q, sort of an unusual design, and while I could use other straps I think it really stands out on all blue NATO with matching chrome hardware

99d1105b1ea737331f37a1bf07f9344d.jpg

Lastly my Casio dive watch was ok but I never really felt like wearing it with the resin strap but with the grey/black bond NATO I think it looks awesome and find myself wearing it more.

5b39fc39c3007607e9a4565784840212.jpg

My Wenger sea force artic light was hard to find a matching strap for. I temporarily used a red/white/blue striped NATO that wasn't bad. (Ended up with a textured navy rubber strap but anyhoo...)

But yeah, they aren't for everyone. I wasn't sure I would ever like them until I tried a few that looked right.

Yes, the straps do cause a slight mark on case backs, but i'm not sure how much it compares to erosion due to sweat.
It can be a benefit for plated-brass cases to have them elevated away from the skin. Sometimes (ex-military) brass cases get very corroded when worn on open-ended leather straps. I know this because I'm a very big collector!

Hi, actually what you see is not wear, it’s known as lapping. When you polish a case (bad imho) you remove material and change the dimensions albeit at micron level but this accumulates each polish you do. With lapping, material isnt removed. Instead you creat microscopic valleys and hills and although the result is visible, you’re not permanently removing metal

I do like nato straps for comfort and security. I’m a yachtsman and watches tend to get snagged up on deck gear especially in rough sea conditions. With a nato strap, should a pin fail you have a second chance. Otherwise..... plop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1