Hello!

I am interested in a stainless steel handle screwdriver set. I oscilate between Bergeon 30081 and Horotec MSA 01.201.

Self lubricating vs ballbearing :)

Thank you!

Bogdan

Edited by matabog

I also have the Horotec Ministand MSA 01.201-D set of screwdrivers and really love them.

When ever other people in my class see them for the first time they also give them favorable comments.

Since buying the set I have bought 2 more of Hortec's screwdrivers, one size bigger for pocket watches, and one size smaller for the screws on hairspring studs

53 minutes ago, maclerche said:

I also have the Horotec screwdrivers and I am very happy with them. In fact, I have all seventeen sizes. I have not seen other brands with seventeen sizes ...

What's the advantage of having seventeen size? I don't use more than three of the common sizes, but had to buy an odd size once to release a stem.

20 hours ago, jdm said:

What's the advantage of having seventeen size? I don't use more than three of the common sizes, but had to buy an odd size once to release a stem.

I always have one that fits completely

Screwdriver preference is quite a personal thing round here so good luck getting a consensus ;)

I’ve had Bergeon and wasn’t that happy with them so I got a set of VOH. Now they are amazing. Can’t speak for Horotec but I’d skip Bergeon for screwdrivers. Good luck

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By matabog
      Hello all!
      I have been struggling with the matter of mainspring winders for a while and I want to share some of my experience with Bergeon mainspring winders.
      First, there two major types:
      the old ones, with a spoke on the arbor (30081):

and the newer ones with a recess on the arbor (Nivarox):

Side by side #6:

to be continued...

• By VWatchie
      I’m considering ordering a couple of Bergeon mainspring winders from CousinsUK, and I really want to get it right as these are expensive tools.
      The way I read it, the specified diameter of each winder is the outer diameter of the winder’s barrel drum. That is, I would need to order a winder having a smaller specified diameter than the inner diameter of the mainspring barrel I’m going to use it with? For example, if the inner diameter of my mainspring drum is 9.80 mm (as is the actual case) a Bergeon No.6 Winder Ø9.80mm would be too large, or just right, no, yes?
    • By VWatchie
      I probably thought about it for a year, before pulling the trigger on a Bergeon 4854 Cannon Pinion Remover, thinking expensive but that it would be the ultimate tool for the job. Especially so having seen Mark Lovick use this tool in his videos, for example this video.
      Well, it certainly didn’t work out the way I was expecting. It simply won’t pull the cannon pinion. I’ve recorded a video of it here.
      I don’t think I’m doing anything wrong, and I don’t think the remover has any parts missing as I took it apart in an attempt to figure out how it works. It seems to be a simple enough design to understand. Anyway, I guess I could be wrong about that, and if so please let me know!
      When looking at Mark Lovick’s video the design of the tool (the grabbing part) looks different from my copy of the tool. I guess Bergeon changed the design and unfortunately into something that just doesn’t work, but I agree, that doesn’t sound very plausible.
      Well, I’m more than puzzled! What should I do?
    • By matabog
      Hello!
      So I managed to invest in a used "Bergeon 2795 Nivaflex" Mainspring winder . IMHO the winder barrels are a bit too big for the inner loop of the mainsprings.
      So my question is, fo anyone who had both:
      What is the difference between "Bergeon Nivaflex" winders and "Bergeon ETA" winders, the latter being the one especially made for ETA calibers.
      Thank you!
      Bogdan
    • By VWatchie
      I’m scouting eBay looking for a used Bergeon mainspring winder set like this. So far I’ve only used my fingers to replace mainsprings, and although it works, it is a delicate process, and I never feel perfectly confident doing it, and I’ve probably damaged (a bit) one or two mainsprings in the process.
      Anyway, I’ve only just recently learned that not all mainsprings are wound in the same direction. Up until just a few days ago I had only serviced Vostok 24XX movements and a Unitas 6498 (following along the 2nd course on watchrepairlessons.com, good stuff BTW). However the movement I’m servicing now is a Poljot 2614.2H, and one of the differences is that its mainspring, unlike the Vostoks and the Unitas, is wound counter clockwise (inner to outer coil) when placed in the barrel.
      Watching the video on how to use a Bergeon mainspring winder on watchrepairlessons.com, it is obvious (I guess?) that the winder used in the video wouldn’t work with my Poljot mainspring, as the hook on the mainspring winder tool is for mainsprings that are wound clockwise, and this brings me to my first question; Would the mainspring winder set I linked to work with both types of mainsprings, clockwise and counter-clockwise?
      My second question is the result of trying to understand the listings of the Bergeon mainspring winders on cousinsuk.com. There are "left" and "right" handles, and "left" and "right" arbors for winders. I don’t understand what the "left" and "right" refers to, but my guess is that it determines the direction of the hook pulling the coil when wound into the winder barrel? Or, maybe it’s just a matter of the watch repairer being right or left handed? Or, something else?
      If anyone can bring some light to my questions, or have some informational links to share, I’d be very happy!