Watch Crystal Help

Hi All

I give up trying to find specs to get cheap crystal replacement. I have a Seiko 5y22-8A08 The glass was broken so I can't measure diameter. The thickness is 1.15mm . I don't trust measuring the inside of the case . I do not want to spend the $15 Ofrei wants, I am looking for a generic cheap alternative . Ofrei list the replacement # as Seiko 295W69LN, but they do not tell you the dimensions. The gasket looks good. 

Anyone know where I can find info needed.

Thanks

Tony

you should be able to get mineral glasses cheaply enough that its no problem ordering the size you think it is as well as the size above and below that in case your measurement was slightly off. As chopin suggests cousins is a good source, but i imagine if they can offer glasses that cheaply, others can to, even the branded 'sternkreuz' arent that much more expensive.
The only issue is the thickness is a little unusual, I imagine either a 1mm or a 1.3 would not be noticeably different. if you have any of the glass left position it and judge whether you'd rather have it a hairsbreadth prouder or shyer. 

Edited by Ishima
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ishima said:

you should be able to get mineral glasses cheaply enough that its no problem ordering the size you think it is as well as the size above and below that in case your measurement was slightly off. As chopin suggests cousins is a good source, but i imagine if they can offer glasses that cheaply, others can to, even the branded 'sternkreuz' arent that much more expensive.
The only issue is the thickness is a little unusual, I imagine either a 1mm or a 1.3 would not be noticeably different. if you have any of the glass left position it and judge whether you'd rather have it a hairsbreadth prouder or shyer. 

Ishima

Good Idea I do have a little piece I can use to gauge depth. I use a gauge that was made to measure diamonds ..it is extremely accurate. I guess I could buy one bigger and smaller ...But i rather be able to know exact size I need ...There must be somewhere to locate this info.

Thanks

Tony 

17 minutes ago, jdm said:
You should. Beside, with flat mineral crystal being $1 a piece, isn't really expensive ordering two contiguous sizes.

It's not the cost so much as it is I like to know and also be able to confirm my measurements. It's an OCD thing

Besides in the future when I am looking at more expensive crystals cost may become a factor. 

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Edited by adiorio110

Just now, adiorio110 said:

It's not the cost so much as it is I like to know and also be able to confirm my measurements. It's an OCD thing

That's OK, your vernier (or digital) caliper will deal with that just fine.

4 minutes ago, jdm said:

That's OK, your vernier (or digital) caliper will deal with that just fine.

Its my first attempt I am sure once I do a few I will trust the process more.

BTW should the crystal rest on top or in between the gasket

Edited by adiorio110

11 minutes ago, adiorio110 said:

BTW should the crystal rest on top or in between the gasket

Supposedly it will rest on the case edge below the gasket. You won't find a generic 1.15mm crystal, so don't count on perfect top alignment.

I did measure 1.15 But after calling Ofrei I was told the actual measurement should have been 2.5 X 29.5, I assume this glass has been replaced before.. I did find a 1.2X29.5  That should do the trick 

Edited by adiorio110