Bulova 23, L8 Crystal Replacement

Benny64

Hello all, I am new to watches and have a beginners question. I have a Bulova 23, L8 witch needs a new crystal... I can’t find a parts or maintenance Manuel on line anywhere and was hoping someone might know which crystal I need purchase and perhaps a reputable vender. And weather or not it needs a gasket as well. Thanks in advance, Benny64

4C968244-D1FF-4F84-A9EE-15B48C42A542.jpeg

Although I know that there are genuine vintage Bulova acrylic crystals out there a generic acrylic crystal will fit and if you get it right I have a feeling that it'll be similar or maybe even identical to the real one.

I can't tell however which type of crystal you need. Maybe a domed acrylic crystal with a tension ring, or one without...

Lovely watch, would look cracking with a brown leather strap... IMHO.   

Benny, have you tried polywatch?   I've had really good results and no need to worry if the replacement crystal is the correct geometry / diameter.   For really deep scratches use very fine wet-n-dry first with a drop of washing up liquid.   Then polish with polywatch until crystal clear again.  The longer you polish with original application, the better the result.

Regards

Deggsie.

I have the same model/year. It should be possible to find crystals on eBay if patient.

If crystal isn't cracked buffing works for sure. I have been using a Dremel with cloth buffing wheels and dialux compounds, usually starting with red, then white, and green. I keep speeds low and keep moving to avoid melting. Even by the time I do green significantly better and the whole watch looks better but sometimes I do blue as a final step.

Hope this helps.

224b430d4d7e01bbcb97d8ce8eb35703.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

If the crystal just pulls out then you can use a cheap crystal lift tool with the multiple teeth. (Note: the cheap ones have roughly machined teeth with very sharp edges so you may need to dress them with a little sanding to avoid scratching crystals).

I also have an Electro-Vise but the threads on it's shaft are stripped so it barely works. When it does work it is brilliant.

If the crystal doesn't pop out fairly easily it may be cemented. Maybe a little heat (under the melting point of the crystal!) Around the bezel might do it? It did for me once... Experience with that is limited...

Good luck...