Seiko crown removal

andy404

Hi all,

I'm looking to take apart a Seiko watch for cleaning, but can't figure out how the winder comes out! If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. I've done a few watches, but this ones got me stumped! Thanks in advance for any help.

Andrew

P_20180225_162514.jpg

seiko 1no1 or 1n00 something, right?

There is a very tiny lever on this (to the left of the stem if looking at it with the stem and crown pointing away from you) that for some reason is virtually impossible to operate unless you loosen the screw near the steam a couple of turns even then its tricky. Add to that you have a rusty stem and you might be in for a challenging time. 

If it's just a pragmatic thing for you id say better to replace it than clean it, if fun is a factor knock yourself out but this is a tricky one so expect problems. that being said, good luck. :biggrin: 

Edited by Ishima

Thanks for the replies, yes looking at this closer image you're right about the model number. I just about see a lever ( I think!). That's gonna test my eyes and steadiness of hand for sure! I should say that its the inside of the glass that needs cleaning and the front bezel isn't quite as scabby! :-)

IMG_20180225_171631.jpg

If you look into the hole in the movement just to the right of the p in time Corp, you will see a brass object with a tiny hole in it. If you pull the crown in and out, you will see that appear and disappear. When it is visible, you are to push on the part with the tiny hole and pull the stem right out. It is on kind of a seesaw lever that when pushed down on one end, the other end lifts up and releases its pressure on the stem/keyworks. When you put the stem back in, make sure not to accidentally push that lever back into the disappearing setting because the keyworks will get out of position. It isn’t much of a problem with a small Quartz watch but can be a big headache with a good mechanical movement, because then you have to remove the hands and dial to get to the keyworks to put everything back in place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro