Greetings from Louisiana

Link

Greetings,

I'm an electrical engineer by day from Louisiana, the deep south of the United States, and want to get in to mechanical watch repair and refurbishment. I'll be trolling the forums for tool recommendations and movements I should start with. If you have any of these suggestions now, I'd appreciate it!

Welcome!

Check out Marks videos and especially his lessons for tips on tools and what movements to start with.  He uses an UNITAS/ETA 6497 or 6498 (or its clones) as a starter movement. It's a large movement, and relatively easy to work on.

Have Fun!

Welcome to this friendly forum. I always suggest if you want to get into watch repairing start with a pocket watch. They are bigger and easier to work on. Learn the basic name of parts; learn to use your tweezers, screwdrivers and the different eyeglasses. Do not start with a fusse pocket watch, they are completely different to watch movements.

Thank you all for the very warm welcome. I do have an Elgin BW Raymond pocket watch that I just had serviced, but I can't start on that one, it was my grandfathers who worked on the railroad. I'll troll eBay for some candidates, maybe a cheaper 17 jewel.

I have watched a few of Marks videos and they certainly pushed me over the edge to give it a shot. Excellent resource!