Any experience with this kind of case?

avion

I've worked on these cases..

The movement fits into a caseback and the crystal is fitted on the caseback. Then the whole assembly is press fitted into the upper case.

First check if the upper case does NOT go around the stem (in case my memory is faulty!). Then press on the crystal while supporting the lugs. If you're using your thumbs be aware that it can 'let go' suddenly.

The reason I remember these cases is that replacements crystals are not easy to source and I usually had to modify something to fit.

Good luck.

Anilv

@ Ishima - no it's definitely not a screw type

@anilv - I'm not sure what you mean by "check if the upper case does NOT go around the stem". I'd be surprise if the method of pressing the crystal should be applied here since it's stated on the baseback " Benrus #2155 - Remove with blade"

If the back doesn’t come off, then it comes out from the front. It will have a two-piece stem. You pull the stem, lift off the glass and the movement can be taken out.

thanks. So something like in:

from minute 1:05

I need to use the blade after to take the bezel out ?

If so, I shall check if the stem is indeed a two-piece stem and let you know :)

12 hours ago, anilv said:

The reason I remember these cases is that replacements crystals are not easy to source and I usually had to modify something to fit.

Good luck.

Anilv

I'm glad to know that it's not just me. I've been going nuts trying to find a crystal to fit what looks to be a ladies Sea-Hawk, possibly aka, "Mermaid", for this type case. What makes it difficult for me is that the, at least arguably, most important dimension is the ID of the crystal, not the OD, as is the usual case. I've tried a couple of different sizes, without the step, and I'm getting close, but still don't have the dial covered yet. :-(  I don't remember it being as difficult with my men's Sea Hawk. But this ladies version is a tough one.

As far as the OP's watch, I don't know if it does need the Benrus press, but the company did make a special tool for their waterproof cases.  And yes, the watch back does say to use a "watch blade", so I have my doubts, as the Benrus tool is a screw-fed press, i.e. very un-blade-like. I have the tool, but still no crystal. Good luck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrRoundel said:

As far as the OP's watch, I don't know if it does need the Benrus press, but the company did make a special tool for their waterproof cases.  And yes, the watch back does say to use a "watch blade", so I have my doubts, as the Benrus tool is a screw-fed press, i.e. very un-blade-like.

The press is to close the case, but to open it you go around the case back seam with a sharp blade. A normal "case knife" won't work. 

On 2/21/2018 at 3:39 PM, vinn3 said:

first verify that you have a "two part" stem.  or take the crystal out with the "claw tool"  as illustrated above.  vin

After giving it a few shots I'm quite positive that this is not a two parts stem :/

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

8 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Some two-piece stems are sods to pull out. I used my nippers, pull the button out to set hands and with nippers behind give one hell of a tug.

I used nippers and strong leverage. If it's a two parts, then it must be glued.

After looking at the original image of the back of the watch, and the fact that the "Benrus" is slightly askew, I'm pretty convinced that this is a conventional "back-loader". It would be unforgivable of Benrus to have a crooked logo on the back of a one-piece front-loader, no? Of course, I  don't know that there weren't some sort of two-piece front-loaders made. If that's the case, I'm back to not-quite-square one.

• Thanks 1