1897 Elgin 6S, 7J

azkid

6b6b8d752382ca97c95e3c0126dea881.jpg

I totally lucked out on this watch in several ways. First, I got it for a song, given how nice the case is.

Second, even though it wasn't running, the only thing it took to start up was cleaning, lubricating, and a new mainspring.

c35c8103cdc06bee6f12fec40651207c.jpg

Third, once running it has averaged about +8spd, ranging from -15 to +25 spd while wearing it.

I had dreamed about getting this running some day. I finally took the plunge a couple months ago after some success with other watches and corresponding confidence boost.

What an incredible joy to get it working and wear it around (I am now officially hooked on watch repair).

10d3cd4753ae6bf813ffd057c9d47aee.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Very nice case! I promise not to bid on it! [emoji16] (Have to save up for more stinkin' tools)

I think you should go for it. :) There are a few other really primo ones out there right now that might be had for a bargain, if luck holds.

The good news is that they come up fairly frequently. After all, Elgin made many millions of 6S watches (to say nothing of Waltham, etc.).

Note that I missed out on a LOT of watches before I lucked out on the one posted. It was one of those clouds parting, column of sunshine, angels singing kind of moments.

Also, as much as I've spent on klunkers, I can assure you I am by no means ahead of the game. [emoji1].

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk