How to inspect oils

I would like to hear some advice how to check the movement condition without removing any parts from it? I do have a timegrapher, but it won't always tell you is there oil at all in the movement. It would be much nicer to sell a used watch if you know that there is good oils in the movement. Which kind of loupes/microscope are needed (how much magnification)? Any essential tips are welcome, how and where to check etc.

A watch movement is a pretty complexe and complicated thing and you CANNOT do that the way you want it.

You can check some parts which are out in the open but not all of them.

A proper inspection and servicing requires a strip down to the "bone".

A watch movement is a pretty complexe and complicated thing and you CANNOT do that the way you want it.
You can check some parts which are out in the open but not all of them.
A proper inspection and servicing requires a strip down to the "bone".
Yep, I knew this =) My mission is to learn hiw to check these parts which are possible to check without disassembling the movement, just to confirm that the movement isn't totally dry.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I don't think you're likely to come across a watch movement that hasn't been lubricated, and the oil once applied theoretically doesn't evaporate. What does usually happen is the oil thickens or otherwise loses its properties. It's a safe assumption that some sort of oil in some sort of condition is present.
As far as I'm aware there's no trick to knowing the condition of the lubrication other than general inspection, testing how well the winder functions and looking for low amplitude on your timegrapher (which i like to stress is only an indication and might mean something else or might mean nothing at all)

Edited by Ishima
  • Like 1