Removing vintage spring bars

Chopin

I have trouble removing a pair of stubborn vintage spring bars that are double or single shoulder. (not sure...)

Any tips ? I don't want to ruin the bracelet nor the spring bars.

I can move the large tube from side to side a little bit but can't pry the first (or maybe it's the second) shoulder.

IMG_6660.jpg

IMG_6663.jpg

Was thinking of gluing something on one of the shoulders and pulling it sideways to see if it'll release.

Slip a piece of paper or business card stock between the body and bracelet/strap then place a decent size screwdriver in the same gap, close to one end and apply pressure to break the end off of the spring bar. The card stock is there to prevent marking up the body.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

I managed to come up with my own solution and I saved the bracelet and spring bars which are in good shape.

I decided to try and run some dental floss through the spring bar shoulder and case and it worked a bit. I was then able to barely insert the tool and pry it off. It took a few tries but it eventually worked on both sides.

When I ran the dental floss through the spring bar and case I also tried making a knot but it didn't get all the way in, still it worked.

• Like 3

When breaking the spring bars be conscious of the case material.  Stainless Steel is fine but on base metal plated cases you may damage the lugs, especially is the band is a close fit around the springbar.

I had to do this on a Stainless Steel case once and the tip of the spring bar refused to come out.  Usually a round in the ultrasonic cleaner will rattle it loose but on this particular one I had to superglue it in and use a drill bit to grind it out. Without superglue, the remnants of the springbar would just spin.

Anilv

23 hours ago, Gpsluvr said:

Slip a piece of paper or business card stock between the body and bracelet/strap then place a decent size screwdriver in the same gap, close to one end and apply pressure to break the end off of the spring bar. The card stock is there to prevent marking up the body.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

can you save the band ?   it is a good procedure though!

5 hours ago, diveboy said:

strip the rest of the case and put it in the wash. its normally 'old man funk' that has gummed up the spring bars and a wash will move it and allow the spring bars to move again.

"the old man funk"  is best removed by a high quality "penetrating oil.  vin

50 minutes ago, anilv said:

When breaking the spring bars be conscious of the case material.  Stainless Steel is fine but on base metal plated cases you may damage the lugs, especially is the band is a close fit around the springbar.

I had to do this on a Stainless Steel case once and the tip of the spring bar refused to come out.  Usually a round in the ultrasonic cleaner will rattle it loose but on this particular one I had to superglue it in and use a drill bit to grind it out. Without superglue, the remnants of the springbar would just spin.

Anilv

vintage watches often have "pot metal" cases that are plated over.   be careful,  the case breaks easly!

On 2/11/2018 at 10:07 PM, vinn3 said:

can you save the band ?   it is a good procedure though!

If you pry at the edge of the band, ie near the case, you may not damage the band but you may damage the case and/or lugs. Conversely, prying in the middle of the band may distort the band a bit but is safer for the case.

In the case of the original pic posted by the thread starter, I would probably break the spring bar by forcing a screwdriver into the gap in the band itself, not in between the band and case(see arrow). IMO this would be cause the least damage.

band.thumb.jpg.98b9202eb2b28dbd59df1f8ec8d861f8.jpg

Anilv

Edited by anilv
  • Like 1