Brass Vs Stainless Steel Tweezers

haratua

If I am not mistaken, brass tweezers are softer, hence better for handling more delicate parts to avoid scratches or marks, is that accurate?

If that's the case, why not just use brass tweezers all the time?

What are your understanding about the usage of brass versus stainless steel tweezers?

Thanks 

• Like 2

Hello!

I think you expect an answer from a true watchmaker, but I would like  to present my point of view:

I use brass tweezers ALL THE TIME, except when I need to get in a very narrow space (they are pretty chunky) or have to apply some sort of force.

The brass tweezers are softer so they grip better - somehow they mold around the object. It's less likely to loose a screw when you use brass. They also don't scratch the surface of things - bridges, cocks. When you need to lift bridges you use a screwdriver to lift them a bit, anyway. I also use a brass tweezers to deal with the incabloc jewels.

I find them very useful.

Bogdan

IMO brass tweezers are too soft for general work. I use steel tweezers because they are durable (well the quality ones are anyway).

I use brass tweezers when I absolutely do not want to risk damage to what I am holding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the videos, I've seen Mark regularly switch between the two in a couple of videos, the IWC FA Jones vid shows this in action. Such as using steel tweezers (or whichever alloy his are, e.g. dumoxel) to pick up screws and then immediately switching to brass tweezers for picking up the wheels/bridges, etc. As others have mentioned the reason is quite simple - brass is much softer than steel, so it reduces the risk of scratching surfaces. Not a concern for the average mechanical, but some of these watches are very very expensive ;). Aside from the brass tweezers, there's also the use of pegwood when holding something in place rather than using a second pair of lethal tweezers at a sharp angle.

Good question, I'm very new to the hobby and bought a no.3 pair of brass tweeezer for around £2.

They seem fine but perhaps I'm just naive because I'm new to the hobby.

Brass tweezers appear to be universally cheap compared to any other alloy used in tweezers.