Timex 'watercolors'

Len33

Does anyone know how to get the movement out of this watch?

When viewed under a stereo microscope, there is no joint to be found around the front

or anywhere else.

(Only the bezel is removable)

From the inside, it is plain to see that the dial is under the edge of a section of moulded 

plastic edge; so it has to come out through the front.

What on earth is holding this watch movement in place!

I tried a watch crystal lift to see if that was the way forward.

However, the crystal refused to move and, to avoid damaging the edge of the crystal

I dumped that idea.

Is it really cemented together and never intended to be taken apart, or what!

Over to you, for any ideas and suggestions.

IMG_2733.JPG

IMG_2734.JPG

IMG_2735.JPG

IMG_2736.JPG

IMG_2738.JPG

These watches where produced by Timex as direct competition to the Swatch watch in 1984 when the craze for cheap colourful throw away watches began to take off and like Swatch I dont think they where ever intended to be serviced, if they didnt work when changing a battery you just put them in the bin and bought a new one.

Like the Swatch I think the case is probably moulded around the glass crystal making it cheap to produce but impossible to remove without ruining the watch.

Thanks for you response, wIs1971, it more or less sums up what I was thinking.

A shame, really, because I was so much looking forward to stripping the case down; getting my rubber gloves on and giving it a good scrub in the sink.

Oh well, it'll have to be a quick 'cat's lick' for this and move on to the next one from my lucky dip bag of salvaged time-pieces.

Regards.

Len.

I know. That's why I didn't mention the crystal lift as that would only work on acrylic and this one is glass or mineral glass, I'm assuming...

I'm thinking that they inserted the movement and dial and then just pressed in the glass without thinking that someone would ever be in a situation like yours... Then again, it's a cheap watch so I guess they didn't care.

I have another solution that would work.

You can use some glue such as Hypo GS (the transparent one, for watches and jewelry) and glue something to it, and then just pull out the glass. You know, the same method some use for stubborn case backs.

The cement itself washes off with lacquer or even isopropyl if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by Chopin