Seiko 7t32-6m20 stops frequently

Slaps18

Hello everyone. I have a Seiko 7t32-6m20, I bought the watch about 20 years ago in Brisbane, Australia in my backpacking days. Anyway I have recently notice that the watch time functions stops randomly, both main dials and seconds dial. I refitted new batteries and reset the watch by shorting the contacts inside the case and resetting the watch externally also. The watch would work fine for some days then I would get up one morning and it has stopped. From watching some of the very helpful videos on this forum I have checked the following:

1.Date rotation works both manually and when rotating the main clock dials.

2. All push buttons are functioning none are stuck/jammed.

3. Stop watch function works fine once watch has been reset and is running 'normally'.

4. Alarm function works fine weather the clock is working or not. 

5. I had a new rear cover seal fitted last year in a jewellers.

Anyway I would like to try and fix this as it has much sentimental value to me, I am handy and willing to learn etc. However from the more experienced and accomplished members here, what possibly could the problem given the items I have listed above?

I thank you in advance.

Hi, I have one of these, mine is a sub model -6L09- if at all possible it may need to be serviced. I know it sounds strange, service a quartz?!?!? it could possibly need an oiling after such a long time.  I have been through the gambit on mine. It is possible that some of the magnets (stepper gears) are old and worn out. (is there anything magnetic near where you store your watch?) The circuit  block is defective,(growing tin whiskers) there may be a build up of some rust in areas like the levers and pushers. The quartz crystal canister could  be faulty. Make sure when shorting the AC (All Clear) both crowns are pulled out all the way. After shorting the AC also short the battery + to the circuit block clamp (the plate that holds the circuit block down)  for good measure. Install case back, return crowns to running position, reset chronograph function. (main crown pulled out all the way)  then test. Failing those things replace the movement. You are actually lucky there are some 7T32B movements for sale right now on ebay brand new, old stock. Just a tad over $100 bucks US. Very challenging model to maintain on your own, but it can be done. Good luck. Keep us posted.

• Like 1

So with any watch that has gears and lubrication with time lubrication will do bad things. Then add in all the other things mentioned by wolfwatchwerks In his answer sooner or later your watch is not going to work and will have problems. I've attached PDFs for servicing and not sure whether you have the A or the B version

7T32B&7T42B.pdf

7T32A.pdf

• Like 1

You could get it serviced, although this wouldn’t be cheap, and since parts are not generally available it could be difficult to find someone who would be willing to tackle it. If you are thinking of learning to service watches yourself, my advice would be to start with something much less complex.

They weren’t available for a long time, but right now Cousins has the movement in stock at £62.50+vat which is probably less than a service would cost. Swapping the movement out is a fiddly task, but you could do this yourself with limited investment in tools. You may just find it easier to ask a pro to do it for you though.