I just recently inherited a lot of watches and tools for watch repair. My grandfather worked on watches. He has been passed 2 0 years. Just went through some more stuff . Have hundreds of vintage watches and tools and parts. . From like the late 1800's early 1900's . Through the 70' as far as I can tell.. need advice and help on what to do to make money out of what I have.......????

Hello Joseph,

Do you intend to try and make a living out of horology or is it going to be a hobby and make a little extra? Posting photos of what you have would give us a good idea on what you might need, when it comes to modern tools, don’t get me wrong there is nothing wrong with old or antique tools but they wear and modern tools can get a job done in less time.

12 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Hello Joseph,

Do you intend to try and make a living out of horology or is it going to be a hobby and make a little extra? Posting photos of what you have would give us a good idea on what you might need, when it comes to modern tools, don’t get me wrong there is nothing wrong with old or antique tools but they wear and modern tools can get a job done in less time.

Well I kind of have enough with my job as a mechanic on making a living I'm not really sure what I want to do with this and the tools yeah I'm just basically looking for someone interested in maybe purchasing them I'll put a couple pictures to you to let you know what I do have see what you think I should do

15173579249431138133351.jpg

15173580628162066874640.jpg

15173581564471698613404.jpg

And that's basically just the surface of what I have.. there's a lot to go through too much for me to decipher what I need to do I know it's something worth taking some time with.. I've dated a couple of the watches already and ones in the 1890s ones in the 1920s and they're all basically in the early 1900s time frame

All watch repairs/makers end up with boxes of bits. In this job we never throw anything away, you never know when you might need it.

The tools you have from the left, demagnetiser, tool for removing crystals, this type is used today, but the bass plate is missing. Watchmakers staking tool, there should be many more punches. Two types of dies could be from a tool to help press backs on or to help fit crystals. They have different recesses to them.  That key looks like the type you use to adjust the depth of a sleeve in types of pocket watches, it’s to obtain the right depth so winding wheels engage and the setting of the hands are correct. The last one looks like a vice of some sort to hold a watch while you unscrew the back to get to the movement, types are used today.     

On 1/30/2018 at 6:59 AM, oldhippy said:

Hello Joseph,

Well I kind of have enough with my job as a mechanic on making a living I'm not really sure what I want to do with this and the tools yeah I'm just basically looking for someone interested in maybe purchasing them I'll put a couple pictures to you to let you know what I do have see what you think I should do

I'll

Like I was saying that was just a little bit of what I have come across so far here's a few more things if not just the parts for the complete watches and things and more tools and I have a lot more I haven't even gone through yet but I'm going to post a couple of more pictures for you to see and tell me what you think. . and I have a lot of those punches you were talking about for the one tool in that box I believe and I have a lot of other stuff is just scattered and I have a full-time job anymore and don't have a lot of time .

15174445022541517926490.jpg

1517444531363871857647.jpg

1517444574388740664507.jpg

And yeah I understand about the box of bits and stuff yeah I get the same thing and what I do but that was just one of the boxes I showed you with a lot of different things in a lot of complete watches also but like I said they've been sitting a long time and it's all very very old and I'm not a watch mechanic .. I'm just not sure what my best thing to do would be I mean should I get rid of it all in one move or maybe go through it better to try to find something that's worth something more I'm not really sure

If you want to sell the tools, you could put them on ebay. There is a section for vintage watchmakers/repairs tools. The boxes of stuff could go separate. The boxes you have shown I have not seen anything that is of any value. If you not sure on the names of the tools or what their used for, on here we can help you out on most of them.

On 2/2/2018 at 8:57 AM, Joseph said:

15175364597931933193614.jpg

15175365349871492862019.jpg

Quite a few Timex, the square one at the bottom right (top left in the above photo)is of course a Hamilton. Same photo second row, the two with the bands are a Gruen and beside it is a Bulova. Second row from the bottom,(bottom photo) in the center is a Waltham 17 jewel incabloc datejust, top left second one in is a Lucien Piccard little blurry but seems to read 17 jewel, antimagnetic? automatic/isochronism? it has date as well. This one (LP) would, for sure, be my "happy find"! All 5 very collectible and fairly well sought after names in watchmaking. Nice!

50 minutes ago, JerseyMo said:

I would be interested to buy some of the mens' Timex (whole or missing parts).

shoot me a PM when you get a chance.

I have a lot of timex. Also some of the Great Britain models not sure about how PM this message is . You want my phone #?

I sent you a message with additional information.  

Timex had facilities in UK and Scotland which produced dials, movements, cases etc.  Those you see with Great Britain on the dial were assembled there as well.  There are many models which were sold only to the European market and many others that were sold worldwide.  

Just makes it all the more fun as a collector to come across one you may not have seen before or one that looks familiar but maybe with a few changes.

BTW, they also had plants in Portugal, France, Germany, Mexico, India, Taiwan, Philippines and of course Little Rock and Waterbury.