Ordering From Cousins

27 minutes ago, Ishima said:

For clarification, i wasn't attempting to say that cousins were bad, and I'm not sure anyone else was, i still order from them weekly and seldom order elsewhere, no plans on changing that, perfection isn't a reasonable expectation. 

So you haven't told them of the problem? They have corrected all and any issue I've presented, even took back a cheap bracelet for my wrong order, something they weren't bound to do.

2 minutes ago, Ishima said:

I'm not sure how you expect them to correct the problem unless they have a time machine. Other than that, they're surely fully aware of that hickup in their stock. 

As mentioned above, they will refund or replace. They would not sent wrong parts knowingly, and you would avoid others having the same problem, it takes few seconds form the "help & support" section.

I'm in the midst of communications with Cousins on the end-stone. I sent them an image of the part supplied next to the engraved caliber number on the pillar-plate. Once I realized that the part supplied, 1193330, has a number made up of the caliber #, plus the generic part designation, I searched for an AS1240330. Something came up on Ebay of parts being sold as parts for an AS1240. One of those parts was an end-stone with the #330. I would think that this would be what I was looking for. Lo and behold, the image of it was the image of the type supplied by Cousins. That said, it certainly isn't the design that I have seen used on AS1240's here in the US. Maybe they are different than what's in Europe and the UK? Or perhaps this Ebay seller is selling a part for an AS1193 as one for a 1240?  Vintage watch parts can be a real challenge.

I'll attach the same image I sent to Cousins so you can see what I'm talking about. What I need is another of the oblong type end-stones in frame/setting. You can see that the one at the bottom is missing. Cheers.

DSC06050_2.jpg

Cousins reviewed my situation, verified that their data table did show that this part was interchangeable between the AS1240 and AS1193. They were therefore kind enough to issue a refund. I feel for them, as I know how difficult is must be to keep such things 100% accurate. And again, mine may be an export variant that was used in the US and not the UK. Case closed. All's well that ends well.

All in all, this was a good experience. Thanks, Cousins, UK. Cheers.

• Like 2

I found out yesterday that the upper end-stone from an AS 1194 will work as a lower end-stone for the AS1240. I spun the wheel and ordered it as a parts movement in the hopes that it would work. The jewel itself is a bit larger in the 11 1/2 ligne 1194, but the setting fits in the recess in the AS1240, and the distance to the screw keeps the flat end-stone where it needs to be. The lower end-stones of the AS1187/1194 (Movement is actually marked just like that, with two caliber numbers.) are of the round style that Cousins supplied in the above-mentioned order.

I have dealt with Cousins quite a lot, I am in Australia and there are no suppliers of watch parts here so I have to shop OS, I general my dealings with them have been positive, except for one instance, I ordered a balance complete for a Seiko I think, when it arrived packed in a little plastic box bound up with sticky tape, I didn't even have to unpack it to see I had a problem.

kA5gLN3.jpg

I have never seen a balance packaged as badly as this and I still have it to day still cocooned in its box and sticky tape.

When I contacted Cousins this is the response I got .

GeAqy8u.jpg

9 hours ago, ausimax said:

I ordered a balance complete for a Seiko I think, when it arrived packed in a little plastic box bound up with sticky tape, I didn't even have to unpack it to see I had a problem.

I don't know which balance is this but all the Seiko balance complete I've ordered from Cousins had excellent packaging, very tightly sealed box. Regarding items that got damaged or lost because of poor packaging, I had this issue once and they refunded with no problem. If you have a similar issue with Cousins I recommend you call'em on the phone (about 1c per minute with Skype), and if still denied, when it's worth, open a claim with your C/C card issuer.

P2110349.JPG

I can't be certain it was Seiko, this was over a year ago, but in any case it was negligent packaging, that is one of my main bitches with Cousins is communications, the web site like all automated complaint handling system covers every situation but yours, and no eMail address.

I wrote them a letter protesting their decision which they failed to answer, and you have little comeback because of the terms of sale you have to agree to to have your order accepted. 

1 hour ago, ausimax said:

I can't be certain it was Seiko, this was over a year ago, but in any case it was negligent packaging, that is one of my main bitches with Cousins is communications, the web site like all automated complaint handling system covers every situation but yours, and no eMail address.

I wrote them a letter protesting their decision which they failed to answer, and you have little comeback because of the terms of sale you have to agree to to have your order accepted. 

I can't agree with you because from my personal experience they took the utmost care about every single issue (all quite trivial) I presented through the "support request", and once on the telephone.

I doubt very much that they can set terms for which they charge for faulty or poorly packaged items,  so you really should have brought it to your card issuer and let the claims department sort it out. Another thing which could have been done, even at the same time, was to file a complain with Trading Standards office. 
https://www.gov.uk/find-local-trading-standards-office

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I wanted to get some parts/tools from cousins but when I go to sign up it asks to confirm I'm buying for the trade and the registration process wants a VAT number.  I don't have a company and so it seems that I can't use Cousins for this reason.

Have anybody bought items from cousins as private individual rather than a company?

Cheers

James

I signed up about 3 years ago, and as a private individual spend between £300-£500 a year with them this has mainly been parts but also some tools that I have needed.

When signing up just try and leave the VAT number blank not all traders are vat registered because its dependent on turn over.

There are also alternative suppliers you can sign up for I bought my Dumont tweezers from Hswalsh and my Horotec screwdrivers from Eternal tools both cheaper than Cousins at the time.

Also take a look at the parts and tools suppliers section of this web site you may find what you need from the suppliers listed there.

Edited by wls1971

I'm a private individual and from outside the UK. I order without any problems.

I don't remember what the registration panel looked like but I only wrote what was necessary. It's possible that the VAT thing might be optional as stated. I don't remember writing one down. They already charge you VAT that gets added to the price at the end, anyway.

4 hours ago, James202010 said:

Hi,

I wanted to get some parts/tools from cousins but when I go to sign up it asks to confirm I'm buying for the trade and the registration process wants a VAT number.  I don't have a company and so it seems that I can't use Cousins for this reason.

Have anybody bought items from cousins as private individual rather than a company?

Cheers

James

Had account with cousins for many years as a private individual with no problems encountered. Not sure why they are asking if you are trade.

• 3 weeks later...

Having to say you're a company means they can side step The Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013. (The Consumer Contracts [Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges] Regulations that apply to sales of goods or services to consumers without face-to-face contact and replaced the former Distance Selling Regulations.) Naughty really.

Edited by p2n

12 hours ago, p2n said:

Having to say you're a company means they can side step The Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013. (The Consumer Contracts [Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges] Regulations that apply to sales of goods or services to consumers without face-to-face contact and replaced the former Distance Selling Regulations.) Naughty really.

Actually we should be grateful to Cousins to sell to individuals as they perfectly know that many buyers are. The acceptance of a business trade regulations prevents them dealing with many  problems that would arise from sellers as if selling shoes online, and I'm happy if it helps their business continuity.. However, notwithstanding the formal rule in the past they have refunded myself for defective parts or even items ordered in error.
Also you may want to check the ongoing court case(s) Cousins have started against the restrictive business practices by the Swiss makers. Thank you for that too Cousins.