SFAwesomeSauce

Parts for my Gramps' Pocket Ben

Question

So my Nana gave me my Gramps' Pocket Ben he's had as a work watch, but the chain loop on the top is missing. I took it to my local watch repair and they said that you can't replace that loop (I think it's called a bow?) on any watch because "it won't have enough tension".
Is this true? Because I'm pretty sure I've seen replacement ones on eBay and Amazon, but I don't want to order any if I can't actually put it on.

4 answers to this question

The bow is replaceable, and I believe I just saw some pocket ben bows for sale actually. You need bow opening and closing pliers to do it right, but it can be done with care with standard needle nose pliers. Generally, squeeze the bow a little tighter than it needs to be when fitted, then use the needle nose to spread it just far enough to fit into the stem holes, then release. It should spring back slightly and hold snugly in the stem. Sounds like your jeweler just didn't want the hassle, or your business. 

I haven't seen a Pocket Ben in person but...

On the 1800's and early 1900's pocket watches with plain circular or oval shaped bows (Pocket Ben styles 1 - 2a), one uses bow pliers to bend and adjust tension on the bow.

I am assuming the material used in the Pocket Ben is similar to that used in the various cases I have and

They have little nubs on the end that fit into a sort of socket on the stem tube and are held in by tension.

If it is style 3 and up, then I defer to others. I would think a parts watch would be the way to go if there is a way to replace that newer style bow.

Old style bow assortments come up for auction often. I have some larger spares if you need.

Ref: https://clockhistory.com/0/westclox/series/series-17-1.html

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thank you for your replies, everyone! I went and got a second opinion at a watch repair in another city, since this guy was the only one here, and they said no problem, turns out a friend of his out west has a few bows for my watch, which he is going to ship to my address, and I just have to cover the shipping cost. It's a style 6 pocket Ben from the '60s.

Right now it's got an old jump loop and cheap chain that Gramps rigged on after the bow came off. But I'd rather get the actual bow that fits it, because I'm worried the bent-into-shape jump loop's going to let go.

20180129_154312~2.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By oldboy
      I am considering selling leather watch straps, but I have a question before I blindly go ahead and produce a bunch of them.
      I am wondering if anybody who has worked in the industry for a while can tell me what the most common sizes are of strap pins or lug widths?
      I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
      Anthony
    • By Furqan
      Hello Everyone.
      I need some help with repairing my Emporio Armani ar-1922.
      I've watched some videos on YouTube but none of them resemble the movement of this particular watch.
      My first problem is removing the stem/crown. I cannot see anything which looks like it will release the stem and I don't want to poke around inside it any more for fear of creating any damage.
      Any help will be much appreciated.
      Thanks.

• By kmcderm133
      So, while waiting to fix the Seiko misadventures of my youth, I went looking for broken pocket watch movements on ebay. (I had read somewhere that a good way to start is clocks for their larger parts, then pocket watches as an intermediate stage and then wristwatches for the smallest movements and parts.) After losing several auctions for promising non-working pocket watches I found a New York Standard possibly "Model 11". It was mostly disassembled and there is much rust/corrosion. I think it's missing at least the clutch, for example. It needs new hands, but this isn't impossible. The main problem here is the rust. It looks like someone disassembled this watch on purpose but I don't know how it came to be so rusted. (Maybe it was parted out? It would be nice to have a tech book on this watch.) 
      So I've been looking over rust removal methods. One video says to use water and baking soda with a brush. Many advocate the use of a "solvent" without being very specific. I have a .pdf of a 1940's War Dept. Technical Manual for watch repair. (you know, for when you're in a trench and taking fire and need to know what time it is but your watch is broken) Among other things this book recommends using pith and I think maybe pegwood as well as solvents or the like that are only referred to by what I think are military requisition numbers.
       My circumstances are such that I can't afford a sonic jewelry cleaner, and I don't have a dedicated work area and limited storage for tools. The baking soda method appeals to me but I think this works mostly by abrasion, the baking soda being gritty. I'm afraid this could damage smaller parts. I could upload pictures if anyone's interested. 
    • By wilding
      Hello and good afternoon to all.
      OK, here is another little horological teaser for you to get your heads around.
      I have this great OASIS lady's (?) B270 watch that I got in a set to be repaired. It actually only needed a battery and works great.
      However, the strap DEFINITELY needs replacing!
      AND here is my problem.
      I just CANNOT figure out HOW to get the spring bar out.
      Actually, I am not sure it IS a spring bar. I have tried hard with all manner of tools (spring bar removers, screwdrivers, sharp knives etc.) to get the spring to release, but no joy.
      I took the strap off by hand, so you can see the photos to see what I have. I really HOPE it IS a spring bar, but if so, HOW to get it out??
      And if it is NOT, then HOW to fit a new strap on other than by glue?
      Also, as an aside to all this, does ANYONE know how to set the date on this watch? 
      But first things first eh! As far as I can tell, there are NOT two positions that you can pull out the crown to. But I could well be wrong.

• By wilding
      Hello there watch fix fans. Here's (I hope) an interesting one for you.
      I have this beautiful small ladies 'Fero Feldmann' Swiss-made watch - it came in a bag of "used and to be repaired" watches.
      From what I can see, the mechanism seems in very good working order. Just a slight shake and it goes and goes. There is no strap, but that is not the issue here.
      The problem is the stem and/or crown. As you can see, there is definitely no crown. But I am wondering about the stem.
      The watch does have its case and edoes have, as you can see, a hole where the stem and/or crown will/should fit in.
      There is something which appears to be some kind of part-stem at the 3 o'clock position.
      Using tweezers I can pull it out and push it back in quite freely. A very small screw on top holds this "stem" in place. I think you can see, in ths second photo, how this "stem" attaches to the rest of the movement.
      Clearly I need to attach a crown. BUT what about a stem? A stem extension? Or one of those crowns which has an extended stem-like attachment which should fix onto this current "stem" in this watch?
      Yes, the watch face is somewhat scratched, and the minute hand is a little bent at the top. You may say it is not worth my while trying to get this fixed. But I just SO MUCH like this little watch and would LOVE to give it life again! It clearly IS still "alive" - though I'm not sure if it is a mechanical wind-up or an automatic. The latter of these seems to be the case - as I said earlier, a little shake and the mechanism goes and goes. PErhaps with a little oil (and lots of encouragement) it can be made good.
      So my main question - what kind of stem/crown to attach and how to do it?