Anniversary clock suspension

boblalux

Get yourself the up to date version of this. It is the bible of anniversary clocks.  I sure as hell would never be without it when I was clockmaking/repairing

You are right about your question. As clockboy says, the right s/spring is critical. So is the length and position of the fork.

s-l640.jpg

25 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Get yourself the up to date version of this. It is the bible of anniversary clocks.  I sure as hell would never be without it when I was clockmaking/repairing

You are right about your question. As clockboy says, the right s/spring is critical. So is the length and position of the fork.

s-l640.jpg

I have the modern version of that book. As you say invaluable fro the 400 day clocks 

8 hours ago, clockboy said:

If you can give me the make of the clock I can give you the exact spring you need. A pic of the back plate and its dimensions will help with the Id. The thickness of the spring is critical with anniversary clocks.

It's a Kern (K+S) miniature, and the old spring  (no longer available to measure) was 7,5-8cm Long.  Vertical side length of longer side of base plate is 53mm.

I was unsuccessful in photographing, due to strong mirror effect.

Without a pic of the plate it is difficult to be sure. In my 400 day book it has some Kern & Link movements and some Kern & Sohne movements but none of these equates to the measurements you have supplied. I found a web site that has some Kern miniature movements and suggested suspension spring sizes. Here is the pdf from it.

ksminiature.pdf

1 hour ago, clockboy said:

Without a pic of the plate it is difficult to be sure. In my 400 day book it has some Kern & Link movements and some Kern & Sohne movements but none of these equates to the measurements you have supplied. I found a web site that has some Kern miniature movements and suggested suspension spring sizes. Here is the pdf from it.

ksminiature.pdf

Here`s a pici, for what it`s worth. Thanks for your trouble

Bob

Unbenannt.jpg

In my 400 day book it has a Kern & Sohne Miniature which matches your pic.  It was produced in 1958. If this is the correct calibre the spring that should be used is as follows:

.002" (.051mm) HOLOLOVAR

The length of the spring & the position of the folk are critical. I use the 400 day book template drawing to get these correct. I could take some measurements from these if you have not got this book.

Bob please find attached the measurements you require for the fitting of the suspension spring >Also note if you clock is the Kern Miniature 58 then a weaker & shorter spring is required. you can use the drawing to to compare wether you clock is the 54,56,57 or the 58.

5a69ed5fc3bef_Kern.thumb.jpg.af40c4e80089f6ea46baad5fa77860b7.jpg

5 hours ago, Tmuir said:

Just adding my voice that the 400 Day Clock Repair Guide from Holovar is a sound investment and you will struggle fixing 400 day clocks without it.

I agree although myself oldhippy & others pass on the information the "400 Day Clock Repair Guide from Holovar" is an invaluable reference bible with 400 day clocks. 

Thanks all of you.  In the mean time I found that I actaully had the 2 books - the  Repair Guide of Terwilliger, as well as the Repair and Restore your 400-Day Clock of Joseph Rabushka.  Just moved house, and I lost sight of them in the ensuing chaos, but have just found both.  It would seem to be the Kern Midget clock (plate 53x43mm) shown in Terwilliger as 12E with a spring of strength 0,051mm.  In this second-Hand book, someone has corrected this in pencil to  0,056mm.  Will try both.  Although only slightly thicker (10%), I read somewhere that a 10% Change in thickness, results in in a Change in rate of 30%.

>Thanks again

Bob

From what I can remember.

If its a pin pallet movement then this applies.

This particular anniversary clock has a very severe rating nut and its vital to have the correct length so it can be put in its locking position for moving, if not it will rub against the guard and it will fail to work. The same with the forks if not you will have fluttering and massive time gain. A tiny drop of oil and I mean tiny on the pallet stem that goes between the forks will stop any dragging that might be caused which can also cause fluttering.       

8 hours ago, oldhippy said:

From what I can remember.

If its a pin pallet movement then this applies.

This particular anniversary clock has a very severe rating nut and its vital to have the correct length so it can be put in its locking position for moving, if not it will rub against the guard and it will fail to work. The same with the forks if not you will have fluttering and massive time gain. A tiny drop of oil and I mean tiny on the pallet stem that goes between the forks will stop any dragging that might be caused which can also cause fluttering.       

Quite right, it has a pin pallet;  I am battling in getting the exact length - too long, and it scrapes the platform, too short, and I cannot insert the locking mechánism guard.  Have taken note of the oiling.

Thanks

Bob

Years ago I watched a clockmaker take one of those springs form an anniversary clock that was badly twisted from someone turning the balls too much over time. He had two pair of flat nosed pliers one pair he held at the top and the other he slid them down the spring in one go and that spring was flat as the day it was made..A great clockman..

Len

• 4 years later...

I'm a newbie learning to fix a 400 day clock that I just bought from a friend. I have a problem with a broken suspension spring. Can someone help me with thickness and length of suspension springs for kern & sohne clocks? I can't fix, because I don't have the manual I need This is my 400 day clock body shape, seen from behind Thank you in advance

IMG-20220605-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20220605-WA0011.jpg

It looks like a Kern & Sohne 4 ball Pendullum 

plate size 18x38  circa 1949

suspension spring required .0036” (.091mm)

These measurements are based on the assumption the clock has the original pendulum  

ps you can double check by measuring the existing spring  

Edited by clockboy
  • Thanks 1

5 jam yang lalu, petugas jam berkata:

Itu terlihat seperti Pendullum bola Kern & Sohne 4 

ukuran piring 18x38 sekitar tahun 1949

pegas suspensi diperlukan .0036” (.091mm)

Pengukuran ini didasarkan pada asumsi jam memiliki bandul asli  

ps Anda dapat memeriksa ulang dengan mengukur pegas yang ada  

Thank you very much... I really appreciate all of your help. I will try my best

Can I know how long the suspension spring is needed for the watch?

Because I lost a few inches of the suspension spring. Includes hooks for pendulum

IMG-20220605-WA0002.jpg