2 Questions regarding regulating

TKH

4 hours ago, jdm said:

Magnetized watches run faster, because hairsping coils stay closer or touch each other. But your watch appears to runs slightly slow, but still within specs. And Seiko SARBs have good anti-magnetic properties (4,800 A/m), as indicated by the reversed U symbol with one line below it.
In this case nothing will change exposing it to a demagnetizer.

Not sure about seiko hair springs as I rarely work with seiko watches, but although a magnetised watch tends to mostly gain this isn't always the case with Swiss watches anyway. The time keeping can be erratic in different positions and when the coils are bouncing it can make a watch loose time when on the wrist or in certain positions on a timing machine.

I know this from experience, repairing watches is my job and the majority of return jobs that come back to me from customers is due to magnetism, customers leaving Watches on a computer tower or laptop, this is why I am skeptic of these apps where you are encouraged to put your watch close to a phone which is basically a mini computer.

Saying all that, I'm not really upto date with these modern apps and technology and am maybe set in my ways, I have only ever seen one timing app for a iPhone and you had to put your phone on the speaker, as a watchmaker this to me just didn't seem right, but that's just my opinion.

1 hour ago, Tiktok said:

Not sure about seiko hair springs as I rarely work with seiko watches.

Like all Elinvar types, Seiko HS are susceptible to magnetism.

All Elinvar or Invar alloys widely used as practical materials are ferromagnetic materials and, therefore, they have the disadvantage which is strongly influenced by an external magnetic field.  https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/matertrans/58/4/58_M2017027/_pdf/-char/en

Seiko traditionally used Co-Elinvar as SPRON200 before introducing SPRON610 with better non-magnetic characteristics on high-end calibers. https://museum.seiko.co.jp/en/knowledge/type/regulator/

Saying all that, I'm not really upto date with these modern apps and technology and am maybe set in my ways, I have only ever seen one timing app for a iPhone and you had to put your phone on the speaker, as a watchmaker this to me just didn't seem right, but that's just my opinion.

Timegrapher apps are without doubt the way forward. Main issue is that you really want a sensitive microphone with a movable stand. That alone cost two thirds of a complete basic machine. And then you need cable adapters, which I'm getting in order to do a review.

However, if one wants to try the internal mic, be reassured that mobile device like a smartphone or tablet will not emit EMF as long radios are turned off (airplane mode). Unlike a desktop PC with its big AC section, all kinds of frequencies around etc, everything is designed to save energy, so no current is let around without a good reason.

• Like 1