How do you source a new balance staff

You have to first identify the calibre number of the movement in this case im pretty sure its a Lecoultre cal.201 then search for a balance staff for that movement, all the usual places like part suppliers or ebay.

Obsolete clock and watch has them at 25.00 a piece these movement went into aircraft clocks so parts will be scarce and costly 

I recently needed a staff for a military pocket watch calibre 467 £20.00 each I then needed one for a calibre 415 a much rarer movement £8.95 for 12.

So first off you need to establish the calibre.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wls1971 said:

You have to first identify the calibre number of the movement in this case im pretty sure its a Lecoultre cal.201 then search for a balance staff for that movement, all the usual places like part suppliers or ebay.

Obsolete clock and watch has them at 25.00 a piece these movement went into aircraft clocks so parts will be scarce and costly 

I recently needed a staff for a military pocket watch calibre 467 £20.00 each I then needed one for a calibre 415 a much rarer movement £8.95 for 12.

So first off you need to establish the calibre.

Thankyou, I quite often get old watches with no makers name or cal numbers so how do u go about searching for a Calibre number if u don’t even know who has made it.

1 minute ago, quantieme said:

Thankyou, I quite often get old watches with no makers name or cal numbers so how do u go about searching for a Calibre number if u don’t even know who has made it.

This subject has been discussed at length in various posts on this site if you have the ligne size you can obtain reference books such as Bestfit, Paulsons, flume, Catalogue official and match the setting parts of the watch to diagrams supplied in these books that will allow you to find the maker and calibre because lucky for us these parts are unique to each maker and allow identification, if you dont want to buy these reference books then you can always ask on this site but you would need a picture of the front and back of the movement in order for someone to help.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, quantieme said:

Search "ranfft database". Has many, but certainly not all.

BTW, that JLC is beautiful, wish you the best in getting it to run again.

On 1/23/2018 at 7:15 PM, wls1971 said:

This subject has been discussed at length in various posts on this site if you have the ligne size you can obtain reference books such as Bestfit, Paulsons, flume, Catalogue official and match the setting parts of the watch to diagrams supplied in these books that will allow you to find the maker and calibre because lucky for us these parts are unique to each maker and allow identification, if you dont want to buy these reference books then you can always ask on this site but you would need a picture of the front and back of the movement in order for someone to help.

ok thankyou i have the bestfit books i will give it a go