Elgin Pioneer 8 Day Aircraft Clock

Tmuir

3 minutes ago, Tmuir said:

Sorry for the late reply, been busy lately and not online here.

That case is slightly different to mine, but should come out the same way.

Remove the crystal from the front by removing the split ring which it looks like you have already done.

Don't worry about the winding knob you don't need to touch it, it says in the case.

You don't need to remove the large blanking screw with ADJ next to it, that is to just give you access to he regulator when it is in the case.

You need to remove the smaller screws you can see on the back, mine only has 2, but yours looks to have 3.

Certainly the one to the left of the ADJ screw cover and the one opposite that, but it looks like yours has a third screw.

Once you have removed these screws the movement will come out the front, you may need to angle the top (12 o'clock) part of the dial first so the winder disengages for the movement.

Thanks Tmuir, I'll have to remember that in case any others need help. It can be difficult trying to help with just photos of a clock when you haven't repaired one.   

It's pretty common that the winder stays in the case with these aircraft clocks. The photo attached shows two movements, a Waltham case on the left and an Elgin Pioneer on the right with the movements removed showing how the winder engages with the movement.

20211019_151912.jpg

5 hours ago, oldhippy said:

So I see. Are the movements 8 day duration or just 30 hour? 

They are 8 day movements and of reasonable quality because if they didn't work correctly a pilot run out of fuel before they returned to base.

For those interested the best reference book for US Military timepieces is 'Military Timepieces' by Martin E Whitney whilst for Military timepieces by just about everyone else the two best books are British Military Timepieces by Konrad Knirim and and Military Timepieces again by Konrad Knirim for German and their allies timepieces.

Although Konrad's books are excellent they are expensive and you have almost no chance of finding a secondhand set.

• 2 years later...

Hi guys my grandfather donated me an Elgin Pioneer watch, but unfortunately it doesn't work, I am suspecting the winder is broken. Can you help me please to fix it? I don't know how to open it either. Any help or suggestions are highly appreciated.