Finishing movements

Tiktok

Looking at building a watch with the Unitas/eta 6497, either ETA, Unitas or other Swiss branded version. I don't want to use the Chinese version. There is something special about the Unitas to me as I spent 2 years working on it when doing the 2 year WOSTEP course.

It will have a see through back and looking at either buying a nicely finished movement or possibly doing something to it myself.

The first picture with the Geneva stripes is pretty straight forward do do myself with a milling machine and then Rhodium plate the bridges. These can also be bought at reasonable cost off the shelf. Although they look nice they aren't really something different.

IMG_0871.thumb.PNG.e80b3233adf6f7b674b725a3d66cd10b.PNG

The second picture is a Tissot movement, I really like the look of this and would fit in really well with dial and case I have got. The only problem is I wouldn't want the Tissot wording on the movement. I could buy this one and possibly with a milling machine remove the words Tissot and engrave my own name in its place, if I then Rhodium plated all of the bridges I should get the same finish on all plates so they match. I really like the way it's semi skeletonised.

IMG_0910.thumb.PNG.3a7e9278026e7352d303250219f0cb90.PNG

The 3rd picture I really like the circular finish on and think it's very different. The problem with this version is that it's also already got a brand logo on it, the blue crown. This would probably look silly if I removed it with a milling machine due to the size and where it is, although an option. I can't find the 6497 for sale anywhere with the circular stripes without this logo.

IMG_0911.thumb.PNG.f0187fd4e849201cab70a7e31ee06f95.PNG

My other options would be to Skeletonise my own basic movement or even do some Geneva spots rather than stripes and Rhodium plate over it.

Any other ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

A lot of this is going to be down to personal preference and what you like the look of best.

Personally I like the circular pattern the best; you can get some stunning results as per attached picture.

It is possible to get your 6497 without the 'mystery logo' e.g. a quick search came up with this: http://www.swissmade-watches.com/ebay/movements/UNITAS/6497-CIRCULAR-VERSIONS/6497-chromr-SN-Chrome/6497-CHROME-SN-CHROME-main.jpg and  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOVEMENT-UNITAS-ETA-6497-1-ANTHRACITE-SWAN-NECK-GOLD-PL-GLUCIDURE-PIN-BALANCE-/131859975890. [I note the seller is currently away until Feb so their items might not be apparent if you do a search in ebay but at least you know the item exists if you needed it ... there may be other sellers out there].

Good luck with this; sounds like a nice project.

circular.jpg

That's the same seller I got the dial and hands from, he only had the 6498 version with the second hand in the wrong place around Christmas time before he closed.

Cant seem to find anything on his ebay website due to him being away, are these old links from eBay as I can't seem to find them.

Is there a price for the one with steel swan neck balance, I do like the swan neck and screws in the balance wheel on these versions although they are a bit more expensive.