Accutron Swiss Quartz W/ETA Movement Replacement

I've owned this "Accutron" branded chronograph for quite a few years.  It's had numerous battery replacements.  Last years, I the 1/100 hand stopped resetting (the other hands reset fine).

Last month, it stopped completely and I thought that the battery was dead. I  put in a new battery and it is still dead in the water. 

Accutron_Lunar_Pilot_Eagle.jpg

This blog entry about the watch says is uses the ETA 251-282 movement
https://robswatches.wordpress.com/2011/06/21/bulova-chronograph-2006/#comment-648

From what I find, that movement does not have a date.

Some pictures of my movement, which appears to read 251-292

20171110_180404.jpg

20171110_180434.jpg

20171110_180525.jpg

I've found two similar movements:

http://www.startimesupply.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ETA251292-4S&Category_Code=09-Movements

And

http://www.startimesupply.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ETA251294-4A&Category_Code=09-Movements

Will either work?

Star Time Supply won't sell to a hobbyist, is there another retailer that sells this movement?

I found this one on Ebay, sold by a Greece seller.  It does have the date at 4 O'clock:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ETA-251-292-Genuine-Movement-251-292-Quartz-251292-Date-at-4-white-dial-NEW/263427762010?hash=item3d5584a75a:g:NtYAAOSwHm5ZtpAJ

I know the watch doesn't have great monetary value, but it was gift from my wife, so it has sentimental value

Any advice is appreciated!

Just so you know, your battery clamp is in the wrong way. Shouldn't actually effect it, but I have to say it. 

I'll let someone else decide if any of those would work as alternatives but I'm assuming straight off you'll find something different that is some sort of problem. I don't want that responsibility when you'd be paying so much. :D

Hello,

I have an account with Star time. The watch movement you've mentioned is the correct one, and if you want the date at 4 o'clock then you click on the other link to specify the 4s date wheel:

5a659e86047c9_ScreenShot2018-01-22at3_15_47AM.thumb.png.95e19657c0caa28d77c5f498fe386ac4.png

As you can see, it's not cheap, so maybe the movement from Greece would be a better deal if you factor in shipping. I would be willing to order it for you if you decide that's the best choice.

J

Thanks for tracking that down.  So that looks to be a very good Quartz movement?  I'd be Ok making that investment.  But, I really struggled in working on my Hamilton Quartz chrono this weekend, I don't think that I can remove the chronograph hands.    I just sent you a PM

I did flip that battery hold down, but no dice.  The stopwatch flyhand moves and resets, but the secondhand doesn't move.

3 hours ago, noirrac1j said:

Hello,

I have an account with Star time. The watch movement you've mentioned is the correct one, and if you want the date at 4 o'clock then you click on the other link to specify the 4s date wheel:

5a659e86047c9_ScreenShot2018-01-22at3_15_47AM.thumb.png.95e19657c0caa28d77c5f498fe386ac4.png

As you can see, it's not cheap, so maybe the movement from Greece would be a better deal if you factor in shipping. I would be willing to order it for you if you decide that's the best choice.

J

• 3 weeks later...

Well, thanks to some help from a forum member, the Accutron is back in business.  That ETA movement was indeed the correct one.  The sweep second hand didn't fit, so the hand that came with the new movement was painted to match.  Everything works perfectly!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I definitely didn't baby this watch and it's had its share of abuse, I decided that the case needed a polish, and I'll be sure to treat it a bit more carefully moving forward.

Thanks for the help!

Accutron_Polished.jpg

• Like 1