Anyone recognise the symbol on this movement?

I wondered if anyone recognised the symbol on this ETA 6497 movement.

Looking at building a watch with this large pocket watch movement but don't recognise the blue crown type symbol on it. It is a genuine ETA version from a well known supplier.

IMG_0960.JPG

Ha!  Doesn't look like anybody wants to touch this one.  :)  Given that it has 'CHINA' on the movement my bet is it's a Sea-Gull ST-3600 movement which is a Unitas 6497 clone.   The ST-3600 movement (Mark teaches his watch course on it) is a decent movement but it's not quite the quality of a Unitas movement IMHO.  I have a few of these ST-3600 movements and I do enjoy them... I just enjoy the older Unitas ones better.  :)

35 minutes ago, Khronos said:

Ha!  Doesn't look like anybody wants to touch this one.  :)  Given that it has 'CHINA' on the movement my bet is it's a Sea-Gull ST-3600 movement which is a Unitas 6497 clone.  

It's stamped "SWISS". Ofrei is not in the business of lying on provenience. They must have bought an excess lot with special finishing and logo.

swiss.jpg

@Tiktok did state in the original post that is was a genuine ETA movement and if you look closely under the balance wheel you can just about make out the ETA shield. Also below the click it appears to be stamped "SWISS", although it's not too clear in the photograph.

The level of finish is also rather higher than I have seen on any 3600.

Not sure where you are seeing "CHINA".

1 hour ago, Khronos said:

Ha!  Doesn't look like anybody wants to touch this one.  :)  Given that it has 'CHINA' on the movement my bet is it's a Sea-Gull ST-3600 movement which is a Unitas 6497 clone.   The ST-3600 movement (Mark teaches his watch course on it) is a decent movement but it's not quite the quality of a Unitas movement IMHO.  I have a few of these ST-3600 movements and I do enjoy them... I just enjoy the older Unitas ones better.  :)

Just to confirm.........it is a Swiss eta movement and not the Chinese copy version, it does say Swiss and you can see the ETA symbol under the balance.

There was a seller in Switzerland on eBay selling the same ones but has none left.

I like the circular finish, rather than the usual striped finish on higher end movements.

This was the one off eBay.

IMG_0963.PNG

Edited by Tiktok

40 minutes ago, jdm said:

It's stamped "SWISS". Ofrei is not in the business of lying on provenience. They must have bought an excess lot with special finishing and logo.

swiss.jpg

I presumed ETA had made a run of these with this Finnish for an order with that logo on, but wanted to know if anyone recognised who's/what logo it was.

I have also seen the ETA 6498 movements for sale on a Swiss site with this circular Finnish without the blue crown type logo, but the 6498 doesn't have the sub second hand in the correct place for my project.