Buren Cal.1321 With The Micro Rotor In A Hamilton

Nice movement made in the 60's featuring the tiny little micro-rotor. This is a Hamilton but I have seen this movement in other makes like Universal and I think Baume & Mercier.It has a 19,800 train.

The problem with this was that the watch was not auto-winding. Turns out there was a wheel in the auto-works placed upside down!

After service it ran very well. After a full wind it too over 45 hours to stop.

Some pictures for your enjoyment...

Click here to view the article

• Like 3

Thanks for the pics Mark.  Love the assembly instructions under the dial.  Now all I need is a watch with assembly istructions on all the parts !

Cheers,

Vic

Yes - I was worried that the assembly instructions would come off in the cleaner - then what would I do?? Lol :D

Thank you for showing us this beautiful movement Mark, I believe I saw it also in a Longines (maybe not the same exact one but with a little rotor)while browsing ebay! I didn't think much of it but now this is in the wish list!

One problem though, the included instructions are not enough, maybe we should complain to the company? :)

• 8 months later...

Hi, 

I read this article earlier and enjoyed it very much and now I am servicing a Heuer caliber 12 with the exact same issue, the auto wind won't work. I looked at the pictures in this article and for the life of me I can't figure out which wheel was upside down unless it was the one under the big red jewel. Anyway I will post some more pictures under my post dealing with the heuer for anyone who hasn't seen that version movement with a chronograph module attached.

Hi,

Thanks for extra link. The one comment on the gritty feel while hand winding was really helpful. I noticed that the first thing before I did much of anything with the Heuer. I have been trying to figure it out ever since. I think my winding issue is mostly just grime. While the movement isn't as dirty as some there are some spots on the winding wheels. You are also right in your comment about that movement holding a lot of power. I got the one I'm working on ticking Sunday and it's still going today. I put it away when I found I needed a set lever and screw. I ordered them but was told today that the set lever would be on back order. After I heard that I went back and managed to grab the nub of the set lever screw with tweezers and back it all the way out. I don't understand why it was so easy since the screw rung off earlier unless the screw was badly worn already. Anyway I do want to thank you for your suggestion and videos.

Charles K

• 6 months later...

Hi Mark,

I just got a Hamilton thin-o-matic Masterpiece auto from the 60's but I can't see where to open it. The back is engraved for someone's 25 years of service. I suppose the back can be removed -- because of the engraving -- but I don't see where. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Cheers,

Bob

Yeah, right, I forgot! :)

post-253-0-55579200-1448825973_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-11464800-1448825975.jpg

post-253-0-75370700-1448825977_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-66853500-1448825978.jpg

post-253-0-52891500-1448825979.jpg

I have a feeling it is a split stem with a Buren movement (small rotor) and front loader...still, it is not mine and I don't want to bust it! Have anyone worked on one of these before?

Cheers,

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

that is a beautiful dial. it looks like the day it came off the watchmakers desk. and blued screws on the movement. that's a nice touch.

i've looked at a few of these hamilton micro-rotors on fleabay. i like them. it's hard to believe that a rotor of that size can wind those wheels.

• 2 weeks later...