lathe file rest

dwhite

Does anyone know how to make a lathe file rest or where to get one super cheap?  I was thinking of cutting down a graver sharpener jig, the kind with the roller, and affixing aluminum bar stock of the correct diameter to make one.  I picked aluminum because the jig is aluminum.  What do you think?  I have two lathes and the tool rest holders take 6mm on one and 7mm on the other and haven't been able to find a rest with the correct post diameter.  Thanks in advance!  Dan.

If you don’t have a lathe, why do you want a file rest? You should go to a machinist shop and buy one readymade. Here is a photo of a simple rest it might give you a pit of help on what you can design using simple tools. If you want to practise filing, correctly get hold of some scrap metal and a bench vice and file and practise on that. There is a right way and many wrong ways when it comes to filing flat.

22.jpg

This one looks decent:

400778.jpg

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=78631

That just requires rod, a section of gauge plate, screws, delrin, and a tap and die set.

You could make the retaining rod the same diameter as our tail stock (eg. 8mm) to fit in there, and then replace the delrin tubes according to what height you want to work to.

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

If you don’t have a lathe, why do you want a file rest?

21 hours ago, dwhite said:

I have two lathes and the tool rest holders take 6mm on one and 7mm on the other and haven't been able to find a rest with the correct post diameter.

• Like 1

oldhippie and rodabod, both of those designs look great.  I'll have to search for some suitable rollers, not sure where you could find something like that but I haven't started looking yet.  I could easily build that out of brass and silver solder it together.  A jewelers saw ought to cut the frame.  Thanks jdm for the reminder that I have two lathes.

• 1 month later...

They're both 10mm as you know.  The threads are the same pitch/form/OD, but not the same length along the body (pultra is longer).  Pultra (mostly) does fit Levin.  Levin doesn't fit Pultra - the longer thread section I suspect would be an issue but the slot for the pin is wider on the Pultra collet so the Levin collect couldn't inserted.  The Pultra collet is slight proud of the spindle nose when installed in the Levin - the large diameter is a little more than the Levin (meaning it fits but sticks out slightly, why I said mostly).  The tapers visually look the same but before buying I'd try and find some documentation confirming the angle.   Hope that helps

Edited by measuretwice
  • Like 2

I think the Pultra collets were made by Conflex. As far as the 8mm ones are concerned, I found they are compatible with Wolf Jahn, Lorch and what I generally refer to as WW collets (although I guess that American collets probably vary amongst brands). 

• 6 months later...