Unusual case back

Here is an unusual case back that I thought I would share. It is on a vintage Timex which is a non runner. The ring has wedge shaped lips that just tighten down onto the case and in turn tightens down onto the case back which has a rubber seal under it.  
I explained to the customer that it has little chance of repair but promised to at least to have a look as it did have sentimental value to the guy who had tried a few jewellers & watch repairers. So muggins here had a go.
Well I did not take any pics but the hairspring was badly damaged, balance staff was broken and the screws were very, very badly damaged. It’s a dead one.

5a5b7976d1813_Backofcase.thumb.jpg.23fc2e2fe48938a57ce5b416bfb7cfec.jpg5a5b79832cad2_Ringtwistedoff.thumb.jpg.b40c5030e4f7770400fc3fc70aa5f951.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like a 1956 - 1958 Marlin to me.  From the description of the damage was caused by someone poking around it there.

Best approach to making the repair would be to get a donor #22 movement.    Now you have to be careful as there are a few variation of these.  Do you have a pic of the movement?

Poor design and rubbishy ?   --- I take it all the more reason to keep them ticking!

DSC07045.JPG

• Like 1