Installing mainsprings

Eckehardt

A mainspring winder is necessary when it comes to clock springs. Winding in by hand can distort the spring. This can cause the clock to be poor in timekeeping, cause unnecessary rubbing/wear to the inside of the barrel and barrel top. With the rubbing, it can weaken the spring. The same can be said about watch springs. New watch springs come wound, you can just press them in with no distortion.  

There are many different types of spring winders if you are going to invest buy a good one, with watch type ones, find out if they will undertake the task of all size springs and fittings. The same goes for a clock winder.

• Like 4

Agree mainspring winders are the way to go. I’m attempting to build up a complete secondhand set from ebay purchases due to the cost of new sets. I’m about 2/3 of the way there with an old Bergeon 30081 set but still searching for sizes 9 to 15. Cousins sells some new ones singularly (not all) at around £45 each. Would you know any other sources one may acquire them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried ebay? I see you are in England try auctions or even second had shops that sell tools. How about old watchmakes near you. When I lived in Lyme Regis I woul go to Bridport on market day as a stall sold second hand tools.

Thanks for the tips. I shall keep a lookout.

8 hours ago, oldhippy said:

A mainspring winder is necessary when it comes to clock springs. Winding in by hand can distort the spring. This can cause the clock to be poor in timekeeping, cause unnecessary rubbing/wear to the inside of the barrel and barrel top. With the rubbing, it can weaken the spring. The same can be said about watch springs. New watch springs come wound, you can just press them in with no distortion.  

There are many different types of spring winders if you are going to invest buy a good one, with watch type ones, find out if they will undertake the task of all size springs and fittings. The same goes for a clock winder.

I have to track my spring winder down . It is in a shelved tool cabinet at my moms. I was really carefull when putting this spring in. So as to not kink it or bend it or to scratch the barrel edges I know it's a pain or even unsafe to do it that way. The spring winder I have is an adjustible one for different barrel sizes. It's an old winder.

Edited by Eckehardt

On 14/01/2018 at 12:30 PM, Pip said:

Well I could have done with one today, I went from this:
5813ceb973e6ff13e76b163294b27e22.jpg

To this:
29d70e649fad5ac6d678bf9aa5eddcb3.jpg

Ok, it’s a 40 year old ms but I’m not sure that it wasn’t at least partly me.

The type with the bridle on the end are a bit tougher. Yes and when they're older they can break. Depends on how they were treated. For those and any others use a spring winder. Last resort method. On real high end watches a winder is a must. 

• Like 1