Apple Iwatch

So the apple iWatch was officially announced, as far as rumours go the battery may only last for several hours. I'm a big fan of Apple products but is this really going to be useful?

I guess we shall see regarding the battery life. What do you think - watch 'history'?, watch 'game changer' or watch 'whatever - just another gimmick'?

:)

http://www.apple.com/uk/watch/design/

post-1-0-07138300-1410366503.png

My two cents: I respect Apple as a driving force in innovation (sometimes) but I find their practices (business, marketing, etc) not to my liking. I've been dealing with them for quite a while as an IT professional (more than 40 years) and there is always something with them money wise: always a catch. I try to stay away from them so I don't get sneared into their money hungry scheme. As the saying goes: won't even touch'em (products) with a 10 foot pole!

Respect to their watches, I hope I never find myself in need of using/buying/watever one -- or again, any other of their products. I also hope their very clever marketting techniques and eye candy do not get in the way of my hobby or kill the actual watch industry like when quartz came out in the 80's, putting out of business some good watch companies very much missed today.

My beef is with Apple in general, not with the people, so I hope I'm not rubbing anyone the wrong way. If I do, I apologize.

• Like 2

My two cents: I respect Apple as a driving force in innovation (sometimes) but I find their practices (business, marketing, etc) not to my liking. I've been dealing with them for quite a while as an IT professional (more than 40 years) and there is always something with them money wise: always a catch. I try to stay away from them so I don't get sneared into their money hungry scheme. As the saying goes: won't even touch'em (products) with a 10 foot pole!

Respect to their watches, I hope I never find myself in need of using/buying/watever one -- or again, any other of their products. I also hope their very clever marketting techniques and eye candy do not get in the way of my hobby or kill the actual watch industry like when quartz came out in the 80's, putting out of business some good watch companies very much missed today.

My beef is with Apple in general, not with the people, so I hope I'm not rubbing anyone the wrong way. If I do, I apologize.

Totally agree.

i too am a fan of Apple. There are people out there who do not use a watch, my son WAS one. About a year ago he changed his phone and as part of the deal he ha a Samsung SMART watch. I have only seen him use it once or twice, however, he now wears and has an interest in 'conventional' watches. Kids like my son (I say kid, he's 22) are the customers of the future and if the apple watch and others like it can spark their interest in watches then thats good in my book. 

I have a small collection of curiosities, a Sinclair Pocket TV, a couple of 1950's radios that sort of thing a late 1980's mobile phone. Stuff that over time has become defunct or superceded. These watches are the sort of thing I would add to that collection, not as a watch but as a curiosity. 

I actually tried to buy this off Moto's website the exact time it was released! No Go! The site crashed, and by the time I actually got through, it was on back order...then unavailable...Maybe in the future. I see a need for this watch, especially in business. It will alert me of any new emails and texts regarding my work/business emails. Yes, my phone will do the same thing, but it is a little more discreet when looking at your "watch" as opposed to flipping out you phone every time your pants vibrate!

The whole messaging around it was overly focused on it being a fashion item, which basically has a lot of tech people a wee bit worried that it will be another Beats headphone tactic, i.e. technically inferior to other options, at the same or higher price, and adopted en masse by people chasing style over function.

In other words, Apple will probably make a small fortune.

Can't the point in one myself. Even at work, where I do sometimes go with a suit and tie for client meetings, a good dress watch is going to be far superior to anything that looks conspiciously informal. If I'm at one of those meetings, my iPhone does just fine propped to one side. From there, what's left? Using it while out socially to avoid pulling my phone out of a pocket where all notifications appear on the screen automatically?

There are situations where being discreet is the better option. Sometimes it's just impolite to whip out your phone and start flipping through messages on you phone. This is why I like the idea of wearing one. But, it also had to look good as well. This is why I would choose the moto 360...just my own opinion.

I have to admit. The moto 360 actually looks quite good. I would guess that Apple will most likely make a similar model at some point.

The one thing I like about apple products is the fact that they all work well together (some things better than others admittedly)

I'm not excited about a I watch. But the iPhone 6 is definitely on my wish list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 32G Ipod touch in the house a 16G Ipod Classic in the car an iPhone 4 and iPad 3 and like them all but for some reason the watch leaves me cold.  I already have a little problem with hearing and I doubt if it will feed through the hearing loop system on hearing aids, eyesight is not what it used to be and I don't fancy changing glasses or wearing bi-focals all the time, so not for me at all. The concept does not work for me personally at all, even if my son does work for Apple. 

This is starting to sound like a passage from "One foot in the grave" so I am leaving it at that and hope you don't all get the imression I am ready for the knackers yard.

Ps The iphone 6 however, is definitely on my lust list.

I'll be upgrading the phone shortly ;). All things change, the business world might just allow for these watches in time. A worry would be having the watch visible and then having it very colourfully announce notifications in full view.

In honesty, it's probably one of those things you can't immediately see the full usefulness of. I remember getting the original iPhone thinking it was cool and without a clue as to how gamechanging it would be. It's hard to remember, but many phones at that time had incredibly primitive Java based operating systems with the processing power of a calculator, and the occasional application download was paid for with text messages ;). Look where we've ended up with smartphones being almost indispensable... For me, it's reduced my three previous common carry items to just one - from phone, book and portable disc player :).

• Like 1

Like this guy already George - even if all my watches look older than him  - just joking noirrac1j - but actually all my treasured watches are probably older than you my youngest is 1971 - unfortunately I am older than all my watches, this is Vic signing off due to mild depression ;)