Hamilton (ETA) Quartz Hour Hand Reset

Folks:
I have a Quartz Hamilton Khaki Chronograph, which uses the ETA G10212 movement.
It needed a battery (second hand was skipping), so I put in a new 394 cell.
When I reset the time, I noticed that the hour hand is now just off slightly (lagging behind).
It was fine before the battery replacement.
I know this isn't the highest quality movement (Ok, guessing it is pretty low quality...) but I was hoping for a little better experience.
Is this something that I did?
Is there a solution other than removing the movement and resetting the hands?

I tried to get the stem to release (there is a hole with an arrow at the 3 o'clock position). But I couldn't get the stem to unscrew. What's the trick?

20180109_203056.jpg

Hamilton_Khaki_ETA_Calibre.jpg

I know that some chronograph movements allow for different hands to be manually aligned or reset. You have to look into the manual of this movement which should be found online.

If not then I guess the only way is to rearrange the hands by removing them and installing them back.

I have attached 2 PDF's the first states as follows:

Setting the chronograph hands

After a battery change, or exceptionally in case of disturbance, it is necessary to set the chronograph hands to zero (original time).

For information regarding setting chrono- graph hands see:
Directions for use
- Setting the counters to zero

'IH_G10212_AB_PWD_FDE_562293_05.pdf.pdf'.pdf

This one shows how to adjust.

'CT_G10212_PWD_FDE_562280_03.pdf.pdf'.pdf

Thanks.  I think Chopin has it - the hands must be removed and set

@Clockboy - I know how to reset the Chronograph hands, that function works well.  It is the "HOUR" hand that is mis-aligned.  I appreciate the PDF's.    It says that the handstem must be reset (pushed in) before pushing a pin in the hole to remove the stem . I think that I was trying to do it with the stem pulled in the outmost position.  I'll try it again this evening.

I'll report back!

Try pulling into hand set and turning hands round 24 hours a few times, if the hour hand is always off on the hour by the same amount on every hour it will most likely be the hour hand has slipped on the wheel and needs taking off, tightening up and putting back on again so the minute hand lines up with it.

If the hour hand is not always off by the same amount once you have gone around the the 24 hours a few times, I would guess you have a damaged/broken tooth on a wheel. They damage easily due to the amount of plastic wheels, I think the plate on this movement over the date mechanism is moulded on with melted plastic rivits/pegs so you can't even have a look to check.

Thanks Tiktok.  The hand is off all the way around the dial.

But, tonight I just noticed that it has changed from yesterday. 

From the photo above, the hour hand was slightly forward of the hour.  Tonight, the hour hand is slightly slow of the hour, about the same amount. 

All this happened when I changed the battery.  The warranty from Hamilton expired in July 2017....of course.   Is this something I could have done while changing the battery?

20180111_193817.jpg

It might be worth double checking the hour hand isn't catching on a sub dial hand, if it quite loose it could be doing this especially if catching on a sub dial hand, but it's more than likely a damaged tooth in which case a new movement will be required.

1 hour ago, rodabod said:

My guess would be the motion works slipping.  Unrelated to battery change, and quite unfortunate!

that makes me feel better.  This watch is around $400 new, what a shame it has such a cheap movement.  I paid $150 for it, and almost regret that...perhaps the new movement will last longer. 

1 hour ago, Neileg said:

Changing a chrono movement isn’t for the faint of heart. There’s a lot of hand fiddling to get it right.
I certainly wouldn’t do it in your case.
Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a fallback in case i mid the job.   I can't live with it as is,  so I have nothing to lose. 

Well, like Spiccoli's father, I bought the ultimate set of tools and a new movement from Esslinger. 

Getting that stem out took more pressure than I would have guessed. I had to make a tool for that using a push pin and a heavy sewing needle.  Now that I "feel" how it comes out, I get it. 

I decided to reset the hands first, versus putting in the new movement.  I got the hour/minute and second fly-hand back in place and it seems to be keeping time well, at least for a few hours.  I'll let it run for 24 hours then reinstall in the case. 

Pulling those hands is not for the faint of heart, but I feel a little more confident now.

I'll update tomorrow, then I have another Quartz watch that requires a new movement, I'll start a thread on it.

Thanks for everyone's comments and advice!

20180120_114811.jpg

On 1/13/2018 at 8:29 PM, britbriar said:

that makes me feel better.  This watch is around $400 new, what a shame it has such a cheap movement.  I paid $150 for it, and almost regret that...perhaps the new movement will last longer. 

Welcome to watches and also, to mass production. $45 movement to a $400 watch is actually quite a good ratio. I try not to tell customers how much movements cost not because I'm trying to pull the wool over their eyes, but because they'd be unjustly heartbroken. Take your average, basic, Tag Heuer which you buy new at around $1,400 + it will probably have a ETA 955 series or similar, really nicely put together movements, genuinely really well made, reliable, can be serviced, and no plastic wheels, you can get them for $35. And it's a modern miracle they are capable of selling something like that at that price. 

The tag in my example is still a nice watch and its price tag is (arguably) justified by the design and quality of everything that is visible, hands, dial, case, bracelet etc. 

Edited by Ishima