Silver Cleaning

Hello All;

When the servicing of a pocket watch with a cylindrical escapement came to an end, I was left with the question what about the silver case? The case had 0.800 stamps & silver-hallmarks all over the place, meaning that it consisted of an alloy with at least a 80% silver content.

CHA-01.thumb.jpg.05b04a9a851e053bfb42d1ae845a9ded.jpg 

CHA-02.thumb.jpg.f47dca864573cdce602dfd00d91a1ac7.jpg

With the movement removed, I tried one of those silver polishing hand-gloves. Indeed, I managed to clean the case up a bit, but to my horror I discovered polish-dust everywhere under every edge and in every seam ....... no good ! Cleaned to case thoroughly. A kind of silver-dip was required. Instead of buying (expensive) silver-dip, I searched for the internet for DIY and came across a method which worked very well for me.

The requirements are:

- Glass bowl

- 1x spoon (tea of table spoon, depending on the amount you mix) Baking Soda. (Warning !!; ask the wife's permission first !! )

- Some salt

- Aluminum foil

- Hot-water

The method goes as follows;

- Cover the bottom of the bowl with the aluminum foil

5a55c66e252f5_DIYsilver-dip.jpg.231960d44ad048a909c1596280374247.jpg

Add the Baking Soda, add some salt and add warm (tap) water, or better, if you want the do it the official "chemistry way", first the water, then the chemicals followed by stirring. Make sure that for a silver object with glass in it, the water isn't too hot. Also make sure that the object is made out of silver ! By Sliver-plated objects, or where the silver-plating is worn through, undesirable results may happen !!

Submerge the object in the fluid and let it rest on the bottom. Best is to check regularly to see if things go the desired way. It seems that if you leave the object in for too long, the silver color can become "dull".....

I first tried another silver object to see the working if this DIY brew, and it worked perfectly. The same odor arises as when using the "official" silver-dips. I used hot-water out of a water-kettle and by the time I was done with my dummy-run, the water had cooled down sufficiently to safely submerge the watch-case.

After I was happy with the results, I rinsed the case with tap water and to avoid any water stains, I rinsed to case in demineralized water and had it dried overnight on the radiator.

CHA-26.thumb.jpg.37f61d2e0859ba51b9611536b65de151.jpg 

CHA-25.thumb.jpg.e3464af527dcd6e7e6e9205d00369c9c.jpg 

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Endeavor said:

Hello All;

When the servicing of a pocket watch with a cylindrical escapement came to an end, I was left with the question what about the silver case? The case had 0.800 stamps & silver-hallmarks all over the place, meaning that it consisted of an alloy with at least a 80% silver content.

CHA-01.thumb.jpg.05b04a9a851e053bfb42d1ae845a9ded.jpg 

CHA-02.thumb.jpg.f47dca864573cdce602dfd00d91a1ac7.jpg

With the movement removed, I tried one of those silver polishing hand-gloves. Indeed, I managed to clean the case up a bit, but to my horror I discovered polish-dust everywhere under every edge and in every seam ....... no good ! Cleaned to case thoroughly. A kind of silver-dip was required. Instead of buying (expensive) silver-dip, I searched for the internet for DIY and came across a method which worked very well for me.

The requirements are:

- Glass bowl

- 1x spoon (tea of table spoon, depending on the amount you mix) Baking Soda. (Warning !!; ask the wife's permission first !! )

- Some salt

- Aluminum foil

- Hot-water

The method goes as follows;

- Cover the bottom of the bowl with the aluminum foil

5a55c66e252f5_DIYsilver-dip.jpg.231960d44ad048a909c1596280374247.jpg

Add the Baking Soda, add some salt and add warm (tap) water, or better, if you want the do it the official "chemistry way", first the water, then the chemicals followed by stirring. Make sure that for a silver object with glass in it, the water isn't too hot. Also make sure that the object is made out of silver ! By Sliver-plated objects, or where the silver-plating is worn through, undesirable results may happen !!

Submerge the object in the fluid and let it rest on the bottom. Best is to check regularly to see if things go the desired way. It seems that if you leave the object in for too long, the silver color can become "dull".....

I first tried another silver object to see the working if this DIY brew, and it worked perfectly. The same odor arises as when using the "official" silver-dips. I used hot-water out of a water-kettle and by the time I was done with my dummy-run, the water had cooled down sufficiently to safely submerge the watch-case.

After I was happy with the results, I rinsed the case with tap water and to avoid any water stains, I rinsed to case in demineralized water and had it dried overnight on the radiator.

CHA-26.thumb.jpg.37f61d2e0859ba51b9611536b65de151.jpg 

CHA-25.thumb.jpg.e3464af527dcd6e7e6e9205d00369c9c.jpg 

good post !   I found a very similar formula on line.  works great.  see my silver wrist watch case in the gallery.  vin