Sheared Screw on AS 1200

Nunk

I just knackered my crown wheel screw by over tightening.  The top sheared of and part of it is now stuck in the mainspring barrel bridge.

What is the best way to sort this out.   Buy a new bridge ,  drill it out ???  Where is the best place to source vintage parts?

I have only started learning how to repair watches.  Having lots of fun but it can be quite challenging.

thanks

Alum bath. Don't go digging around and drilling stuff unless you're sure of yourself.  Alum is used to dissolve the steel screw without damaging the brass plate or threads. Crown wheel screw is obviously vital. I hazard to say a very large lesson has been learned here. Depending on the movement, it may be impossible to find, or easy. Sometimes a scrap movement of the same caliber can yield the parts you need. Sometimes we create scrap movements that we get rid of to others to use for parts. (A-hem) If you're a pro you can make your own parts. It all depends on what you have and how rare or common it is. Good luck, hope you can get it worked out.

Use a rigid pick and try to either back it out or screw it out the other side.

The tension caused by the threads pulling away from the screw head is what holds the crew.. when the head is broken off completely the tension is removed. I find that unless rust is involved, most screws respond well to this method.

You are aware that this will most likely be a left-handed screw right?

Anilv

I was thinking of screwing it from behind:blink:

I am aware it is a reverse screw.  I sheared it off due to using a larger screwdriver than normal which increased torque slightly.   I have to get in the mindset that I am working on small fragile parts and apply a bit of patience.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Yeah ive watched that a few times before,  i couldnt find my old school dividers to scribe it up 😅 Yep thats the guy i bought a roll from .
    • Yes, "Sold out" is difficult to understand. There doesn't seem to be a lot going on. It's been nine months since any new video was published on the Watch Repair Channel. The Level 4 course on watchfix.com has been in progress for what feels like forever (several years!?). Maybe Mark's enterprises aren't doing well or perhaps already so profitable there's nothing much to motivate him for more material. Or, perhaps these days he's more into crochet. The real reason is probably something entirely different but it would be nice/interesting to know. I don't mean to sound gloomy or pessimistic, but I wouldn't be surprised to be met by an HTTP 404. Every day feels like a gift. Speaking of watchfix.com I've been postponing the "Level 5: Servicing Chronograph Watches" course for a very, very long time. Anyway, I just enrolled on it so it's going to be very interesting to see the videos. I must say, IMO there's nothing really that can compete with Mark's courses when it comes to presentation and video quality. It's simply world-class and makes me associate with some really expensive BBC productions.
    • Steel has some funny properties, or at least counterintuitive. The modulus of elasticity is effectively (not exactly, but close enough) the same for steel that is annealed and hardened. What changes is the point of plastic deformation* . If the movement of your spring doesn't pass that, it should work fine. It looks a little thick, I would thin it a bit maybe from the main body out about halfway, maybe 10-20% thinner (not in thickness, along its form). But if it works it works!   *So- if you have two bars of the same steel, one annealed, one at 600 Vickers (general hardness watch arbors might be), clamp them to a table so the same length is hanging out, and put a weight on the ends, they will bend the same amount. But if you continue to add weight, then remove it, at a point the annealed bar won't return to its original straightness. That's the point of plastic deformation. But up to that point, as springs, they are the same. However- their wear characteristics will be very very different. And getting the hardened bar past its point of plastic deformation takes a lot more effort.
    • @JohnR725 now that you've mentioned it. This is actually the second aftermarket spring (same place and brand) I ordered as the first one broke. The eye on which the arbor pulls on, broke off on the first spring after the first wind, and also it was a bit to large for the arbor. Looked like on one the second picture in the 2nd group. The second one was exactly the same, I had to bend it a bit, to give it a more prominent curve to the end of the spring so that the arbor catches the eye.  Also I believe both were 5-10mm shorter. Not that I writing that, I feel a bit dumb, as the spring might actually been the problem all along, although its advertised as a substitute to the original...     
    • The CS70 is the only one they show as annealed.  A further search on ebay, I found CS75 and CS100 annealed carbon steel strips  e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314072784422