Dad's or Grandpa's Cortebert?

I discovered this little guy hiding beneath a drawer in my father's safe today, where he's been since...well, who knows, and was wondering if anyone can shed some light on it's age.

I found one very similar to it after some searching (the net has little info on Cortebert) with same cal. ET. 926 movement and case with a 30xxx serial num. (Which the poster claims puts it production sometime during 1930-40s-?) Odd bit, though...the casebacks are identical, except this one reads "shock resist" where the other has "shock protected".  Hmmm. An SOX/American import thing?

And...he's not in good shape. The crystal is broken, dial not too bad..but the blance is shot for sure, and it seems the crown (stem?) Is jammed- Like into the case jammed. I haven't tried to pry it out or anything, but it's in there good.

If this is pretty much an ETA 926, maybe there's hope for not breaking the bank to revive? Thoughts?5a52d912aa09f_2018-1-713-6-37.thumb.jpg.d3081608073c3428ccab31477cb83243.jpg

Thanks guys.

2018-1-7 19-8-43.jpg

2018-1-7 19-7-55.jpg

2018-1-7 19-10-20.jpg

• Like 1

I will check Cousins...hadn't thought to go there yet. Thanks!

Well, I think you may have answered the ownership question...I compared the watch repair notations in the caseback with grandpa's Hampden pocket watch, and looks like the same guy worked on both.

So it could be pretty old. Not that this means anything, and hard to see in the pics, but the hands are actually blued steel.

We're all now used to second hands that operate from the centre of the watch but older watches used to have a small second hand that operated above the six o'clock position.

Your watch is interesting in that it is the development of what was called the ETA 900 with a sub second hand into having a centre sweep second hand and renamed the 926. This would most likely date it to the early 1950s. Also cross reference the Bulova 10BAC.

It would not take a lot to replace the damaged crystal and polish the case plus get a new strap. Do not be tempted to clean the dial (too risky) ... keep the lovely patina and have a nice looking heirloom!

Edited by WatchMaker
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, WatchMaker said:

Your watch is interesting in that it is the development of what was called the ETA 900 with a sub second hand into having a centre sweep second hand and renamed the 926. This would most likely date it to the early 1950s. Also cross reference the Bulova 10BAC.

Yeah I was thinking late 50s early 60s though. At any rate much later than the 30s or 40s thats just an edu-ma-cated guess though. Very nice little watch though, from a great company! Sweet find.