Changing HD MacBook Pro

@jdm: if that works for you and if you like to spend that amount of money to be in the race, fantastic ! I never had a problem with older equipment be it desktops, laptops, phones & smartphones (watches and clocks for that matter too). This has been true for me in the last 35+ years as well. In fact I ditched my iPhone for a modern version of the beloved Nokia 3310, the Nokia 112,  which has a one (1x) month battery life before it needs recharging. Now I don't have to go quickly from the wall-socket to the next nearest wall-socket. Works much better for me :)

From the commercial point of view, and for the consumer world; they may view me as a disaster .......  If they do, I'm fine with that :D

But, we digress from the topic on hand .......

Edited by Endeavor

16 hours ago, Endeavor said:

@jdm: if that works for you and if you like to spend that amount of money to be in the race, fantastic !

I did not mention cost but that I'm stingy and a late adopter, so no race for me thanks.
My latest laptop purchase was $750 a couple of months ago. Even without considering that I still use the previous one as 2nd device and backup, over a projected 3 years that makes about 70 cents a day.

My point is that one thing is being parsimonious, another is negating oneself the convenience of current IT and being fully enabled in mobility.  

UPDATE:

I have had a "525 GB Solid State SATA Drive" fitted for just over £300 inc.VAT. It now works great as it is now incredibly fast not exaggerating I was say twice the original speed. Thanks guys for your suggestions & help and if I had waited I suspect I could have done the repair myself. However job jobbed.
One interesting note from the geek guy he noticed I run "CleanMymac" and in his option this programme slows macs down a lot & suggested I investigate a programme called "Malware Bytes" 

I will look at it another day.

Congratulation again ! :)

I run "CleanMyMac 3", which is a paid program from MacPaw, and have no problems. However there is a program, not 100% sure, but I think it's called MacCleaner and that one will infiltrate your whole machine. That one need to be completely routed out if you happen to have downloaded it !!

Sorry, it's called "MacKeeper", that's the one you should avoid "at all cost".

MacKeeper.jpg.d17ea537cd670ad17ca492b3bd224ec3.jpg

BTW; I normally make sure that there aren't any, or the ones I can avoid, programs which run in the back-ground. With CleanMyMac 3 you can search for and switch them off, also so that the don't start up when the machine boots. My CleanMyMac3 also doesn't run in the background.

I guess, speed is not your concern anymore, if it ever has been ..... ;)

Edited by Endeavor

Thanks guys I have a iMac which does run slow even with 20mb of ram. When I checked the start up programs the only one showing was CleanMyMac 3 so I turned it off and the iMac now seems to run faster. My MacBook pro now with the new HD runs great with CleanMyMac 3 so I will leave alone.

Went through all of this upgrading to a 1TB hdd for my MBP a couple of years ago. I used cloning software and cloned my drive to an external then swapped them out. Then upgraded osx using a disk image downloaded from the net. Lots of good how to's out there. But yeah if you have a blank drive then you need an osx dmg on a thumb drive, command option at start up, choose usb with dmg file, boot, install to blank drive when prompted. Something like that.

I know this thread is old but hey y'all need to know I got some chops too!   LOL...  :D