What am I missing can’t open Wittnauer

Hey guys. I finally located my late grandfather’s watch and band and he has swapped in a Wittnauer that I’m not familiar with. It needs a new battery and service but I can’t seem to open the case. What am I missing? It has an arrow next to the “base metal” engraving And it seems that passed watchmakers have taken their case knife to that spot and to another spot on the side to try to open it but there doesn’t seem to be a gap there to open it with. I tried my case knife and it won’t grab. And I’ve tried to get it to unscrew but it won’t budge. Before I do some damage what am I missing here? f8756afa7dd6f5dc92180df76c1ac2a5.jpg7b613329e51b62f50c441d25886f905d.jpgb0149ee520aa9dc56b6f98d70b559c39.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of those are just very hard to get a start on, without a good gap to get in to. I’ve used a single edge razor blade on a few. You could be required to tap the protected edge of the razor with a wood dowel as well. Then suddenly it will pop off. Afterward it will most certainly require a back press to press it back on. Not pretty or very professional, but without more expensive equipment and experience, necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Thanks. I removed the front bezel and can’t remove it that way. A few of my watches open that way. But not this one. So with the back I have now tried a knife and a straight razor with a plastic mallet with no success. So I guess I’m gonna have to take it over to a pro before I cause damage. Strangely I have never had a problem with a case before out of my 50+ timepieces. But thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's an interesting watch. The case looks like a remake of a sixties model that needed special wrenches, 1175, 1200, 1260, that were marked with that instruction. I just worked on my nephew's from the early era, and had to take it out through the front. I used a syringe at the case-tube and blew off the crystal. I then used a crystal vise to replace the crystal. Looking at the back, that would have been my first guess. But his had not bezel, just a back and a crystal.

I like your case. The bezel reminds me of one of the nicest looking Wengers I'd seen. The dial is quite nice, and it's fairly obvious that it's a later manufacture than the 1960's. Are you looking at the back under good magnification? 4X or better would be good to verify that the back pops off where you suspect it might. One thing we know is that it comes through the front or the back. In other words, the movement wasn't assembled like a ship in a bottle, through the case-tube. :D

I have encountered this style of case a few times & they can be bloody tight.You will need a good snap back case back opener.

Unfortunately my laptop is broken & I have not yet found  way to save a pic with this mini iPad.!,,,,

However here is a vid of the opener I use for the tight ones.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Have you ever seen grease spread?  I use Molykote DX on the keyless, cannon pinion, etc and cannot imagine it spreading. Similarly, HP1300 should not be a problem, as long as you don't splash too much about.  9010 does like to travel though. I've recently re-serviced a couple of my watches I first serviced about 5 years ago. I was a bit too liberal with the oil and grease back then, but it hasn't spread everywhere. I only epilame on balance cap stones, escape wheel and pallet stones (and auto wheels if they need it).   If you use it all over, the oil might bead-up and travel even further - think of using RainX on your car windows.
    • Polish it where the old part cracked as well. Get rid of the stress-raisers.
    • Sounds great! And yes, I would use grease for the keyless as well although treating the parts with epilame would make the grease less likely to spread in the long run. Not critical but won’t hurt. My current strategy is to epilame treat all parts getting in contact with oil or grease.
    • Hello everyone, for what it's worth, here is my approach: 1. Escape wheel submerged in Epilame, then dried quickly with a hairdryer. Then the final tip of the pivots are cleaned by poking into pithwood. The logic being that the Epilame is removed at the intended contact point (to avoid any residue that may mix with the oil), but remains in the areas where oil is not supposed to spread to (further down the pivot towards the wheel). The escape wheel teeth also benefit from having Epilame to keep the 9415 in place.  2. I use a syringe to treat only the pallet stones. I suspend the pallet fork with some Rodico so that the stones hang downwards. I notably use a rather thick needle where a drop WON'T form, but rather where the Epilame liquid stays in the needle tip, which I then dip into the pallet stones. It requires some practice to get the right amount of Epilame into the needle tip, but it works for me now. This way, no drop will "jump" onto the pallet fork and potentially go all the way to the pivots.  3. I let the movement run for a few minutes without lubricating the pallet stones... to scrape off the Epilame in the intended contact "channel". Then I remove the balance again and lubricate the exit pallet stone with 3-4 successive drops. See the "channel" that forms on the pallet stone in the picture -- not so easy to see, but it's visible.       I am conflicted about the use of Epliame in balance jewel settings. My impression is that the two jewels sufficiently suspend the oil (even 9010). Apparently Rolex recommends NOT to use Epliame there (heard from a former Rolex service center watchmaker), as it could cause additional wear. Apart from that, I follow specific instructions where I can find them. E.g. the infamous Rolex reverser wheels or sometimes (parts of) the seconds wheel. Exception: I'm currently servicing an Eta 2824 and will probably ignore the service sheet that recommends treating the whole keyless works with Epilame and then using HP1300... I'll skip the Epilame and use 9504 grease.        
    • I'm going to give this a try today/tomorrow on my UTC33/Seiko 66, thanks!