Where to buy heat treatable steel sheet?

MHowling

Hi,

I know this is a tool forum bet i couldn’t find anywhere else to put this. I need to find some heat treatable steel sheet of thicknesses between 0.5 and 2mm. The only place I have found so far is Boley but they are completely out of stock. Any country is fine as long as they offer international shipping.

Thanks,

M.

Where do you live? If you live in the UK, just do a google or ebay search for gauge plate, its readily available in the UK and quite cheap, but if you don't live in the UK and need to get it shipped to you in another country it can get quite expensive. Make sure they say whether its water or oil quenched.

Heat treatable steel could be a wide range of things but it usually implies a typical tool steel - O1, W1, A2 and so forth.  imo you don't want to mess about with mystery metal, to much goes into a part to not have the heat treating go as planned.  Its readily available in a huge selection of shapes and widths as "ground flat stock" with Starrett being the preferred supplier (Starrett does things properly and you can trust what you are getting)

Industrial supply, places that sell to tool and die/machining is where you will find it.  McMaster Carr and MSC are the big catalogue houses in the US.    Here for example is KBC's listing for 18" long Starrett O-1.  Naturally, its sold in an annealed condition.  Hope that helps

https://www.kbctools.ca/products/TOOLROOM ACCESSORIES/STOCK MATERIAL/FLAT STOCK/1648.aspx