Swiss Army

Give us more details about the watch will ya... I know that they usually have quartz watches. Was this one quartz or mechanic ?

The movements that they use are cheap so simply replacing it wouldn't cost that much but as Ishima pointed out, sometimes they can be serviced...

On 12/30/2017 at 11:58 PM, 8avalon82 said:

I have a Swiss Army watch that was running slow, so I had a watch shop replace the battery. Still ran slow. Repair man said "motor" is shot and nothing can be done for it. I'm thinking some component changed value. Is this watch trash?

On 12/31/2017 at 4:40 AM, jdm said:

OP: watch shop replace the battery.

It has quartz second hand movement and an oyster shell back.

I have replaced the movements in a couple of different Swiss Army watches, one Wenger, one Victorinox. Both had ETA quartz movements. I tried to service the Victorinox, but probably wasn't successful because I didn't have the proper, quartz weight, watch oil. The movement/part number is usually right under the battery on ETA's. Sometimes you do have to remove the battery to see it, sometimes you don't.

In my limited experience, it's not unusual to have to replace those quartz movements after 10-20 years. If you really like the watch, you might consider buying a movement and storing it. If you get it for a good price that is.

It takes some skill, as you have to remove and reset the hands, and often deal with a movement-ring (internal spacer).  Good luck.

Also, when I put it on the desk and don't touch it, it will keep correct time. When I wear it I notice the second hand will occasionally stop moving and I have to tap the crystal to get it to run again. This intermittent stopping when I wear it is what's making this watch lose time. Does it maybe just need cleaning?

It may "just" need a cleaning. The problem is that for less than the price of a proper cleaning and oiling,  you'd probably be able to get a new movement. There are some operations that will spray-clean the movement without tearing it down, but I doubt that will get you any long-term benefits. There may be wear in the train of wheels that is creating an issue when the watch changes positions. This too would point to a new movement being a better bet. Again, while you can still get them, as it's probably listed as obsolete.

There is a possibility that the watch is having issues with the hands not clearing each other at a certain point. You'd have to remove the movement from the case and observe what happens with them. If the watch hasn't been out of the case recently, this is unlikely. Good luck.