• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally found a good staking set!!  I've been looking for one since I started watch repairing a few months back.  But most I saw had either just been sold, missing parts, or in bad condition.   But

Just bought this M.K.S almost complete with 110 pieces and little used. Only need to replace 3 balance staffs against replacing the complete balance and it's earnt it's keep. Just hope it will do the

And a free comic relief nose......... :)

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
16 hours ago, Dpastl said:

Wow, congrats!  I'm super jealous, I've been looking on ebay for months now trying to find one.  Perhaps i should browse the local pawn and antique shops!

I did pick up the other set. If your interested in a trade pm me.

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

Newbie here and I posted this question on someone else's thread in this forum and am not sure if I could do that so I've started a new discussion. Admins please delete if I did something wrong here.

My local thrift shop has this vintage used Boley staking set. Photos below. Do you think it's worth £95 / USD$120? Any advice is appreciated. Cheers.

Mo

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• Like 1

There looks to be many missing stakes and plugs. New stakes/plugs can be bought from good suppliers. Have a good look at what you might buy, Do the stakes line up with the holes in the bass, make sure there not blocked, the same goes for the stakes. Looks like it all needs a good clean, this can be done and it should then look fine. You can also find second hand stakes on ebay. The price is fair. Just make sure it all works and moves free.

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

There looks to be many missing stakes and plugs. New stakes/plugs can be bought from good suppliers. Have a good look at what you might buy, Do the stakes line up with the holes in the bass, make sure there not blocked, the same goes for the stakes. Looks like it all needs a good clean, this can be done and it should then look fine. You can also find second hand stakes on ebay. The price is fair. Just make sure it all works and moves free.

Thanks for the advice. I will check it out. 

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Hi OH, I can think of trying each stake with a right size staff to see if things line up with the holes in the base. How else can we check for alignments.

Thanks in advance.

Make sure this part (red arrow) isn’t damaged and can lock and be freed. Some types cannot be moved so check for damage. You need to have the most pointed stake and see it it lines up center to the holes (black arrow) make sure none of the holes are damaged and not blocked. The black arrow part must be able to be un-locked and locked. All punches should be able to fit into the stand with ease. Keeping the stakes in good order and the plugs will also help in the work you will undertake when using this type of tool. It is quite easy to clean the stakes/plugs with very emery cloth or the sticks, if you have a lathe it’s even better. Don’t forget this type of tool is used a lot for watch work such as b/staffs, jeweling and riveting just to name a few. Yes if you do not have a jeweling tool but you have the right punches with a stacking tool you can use it for that. The main thing is make sure things line up.     

Excellent-watchmakers-BOLEY-STAKING-SET-riveting-punching-_1.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • 2 months later...
On 10/13/2014 at 5:50 PM, bobm12 said:

Update:

For those that would like to add stakes and punches to their staking tool, I came across a "cross reference" apparently useful...

Cross-over-punches.pdf 1.02 MB · 139 downloads

Good morning Bob. @bobm12

Maybe it's posted again later in this thread, but I was unable to download this file. I'd like to have a copy of this cross reference please!

Thanks in advance.

And I'm asking because I'm ready to get myself something.

I think that my "ideal" would be a K&D 18R WITH the jeweling arm and micrometer. I see a few 18R sets, in various condition and completeness, but often lacking the jeweling arm parts.

Do the arms come up by themselves occasionally? I know I could get a jeweling tool seperate, and may have better control with one, but as I do not make any income with this "hobby" I need to control cost.

I am more than capable of restoring the pieces, so I'd compromise on visual condition for completeness.

@oldhippy, you had offered to check what's out there for others in this post. Would you be so kind as to take a trawl through the bay of E and see if anything jumps out at you? I have several on my watch list, and a decent one ended last night that I was considering, but I wasn't 100% sure on it and I want to avoid "throwing good money after bad" if I make the wrong investment.

Thanks to everyone!

PS here's a K&D book I found which lists all the pieces (at the time) which may be useful to others...

KD_staking_tools.pdf

• 6 months later...

I will not feign being an expert, but to me, this set looks pretty complete.  I have three sets (all inherited) and I only use the most basic set and the only thing I have used it for is staffing.  I looked at the ebay listing on this one--it will do you fine IMO.

This is not part of the "inverto" series which I only learned about today!!  Maybe I will use my new-found knowledge...maybe not.

Edited by LittleWatchShop

Looks good, the only thing with me is the staking tool looks a little off center, but it might be the camera. Yes it is complete. You can never have enough stakes I had all sorts including ones for removing cylinder plugs. 

s-l1600.jpg

7 hours ago, oldhippy said:

might be the camera

I think so.  Here are some other views.  Looks fine to me, but I would ask the seller to do two things: 1) validate that the stakes insert smoothly into the arm, and 2) provide a top-down picture. 

2021-04-27 09_04_20-Window.png

2021-04-27 09_03_58-Window.png

2021-04-27 09_03_42-Window.png

Edited by LittleWatchShop

I stumbled across this set on Ebay Antique K & D Kendrick & Davis STAKING SET WATCHMAKER TOOL PUNCH FRAME w/ box

Normally, I might let it pass but I noticed the seller is litterally 1.5h away from my house by car so it might be better. Beside from being dusty, the stakes seems pretty complete so I'm curious what everyone think ?

I wanted a staking set but expected to buy much later. However, a possible balance restaffing prompted me to consider it now.

Edited by Xilikon