chrisbuxton27

My First Staking Set Advice

Probably only dirt blocking it.....Perhaps a bristle or soak the plate face down in Napter would shift it. No you dont get something for nothing....Perhaps you never have done but with a positive attitude bargains can still be had. I go to lots of fine art sales where NON gold watches go for bargain prices and houseold auctions which usually involve house clearance items. The customers in the room have no clue what watchmakers tools are let alone the price they should pay.

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Have you tried drilling them out? Agree you don't get something for nothing these days.

Yep tried that and just broke the drills. Whatever is in the holes the material is solid and hard. I have just learn't t work around it. 

I'd give ultrasonic a try (if you haven't already) with a solvent.

Regardless of the outcome, remember to re-oil the anvil after unless you are a fan of brown.

I have been fortunate in that I have not found a need for a staking set yet. I do not change jewels (which I believe these are for) but I do see some other uses with the larger sets posted... I'm sure I fall in the camp of "replace balance complete" as I know my (current) limits and a hairspring is outside that set of limits.

I did get a bit of time last night and was able to change hands and crystal on my 5512. It's like getting a new watch! (for the price of, well, a new watch...)

PS the "compatibility PDF" posted earlier seems to be corrupted. Could that be re-posted perhaps? I'd like to have it for future reference, particularly since I just said "I won't need one", which all but guarantees I will need one tomorrow.

And for the poster looking to use the smaller diameter, shorter stakes in the larger tool, how about a sleeve, or a bored rod of appropriate diameter, which would accept the small short stakes and the top would fit and function in the larger tool? Would that work? (may have to get something made in hardenable steel which might get expensive)

Recently purchased my first staking set the punches and stakes of which are in good condition. On close examination of the anvil I notice quite a large clearance gap between the anvil and the central pivot. (see pic) Although it does not appear to be wear the anvil moves of the central point to some degree and can be locked by the rear finger wheel. Could someone please tell me if this is normal or if I need to start looking for a new tool for my 4.7mm stakes.

P1010027.JPG

How to make your choice when you want to buy / order a staking set?

I see that there are many different sets, with a big variation in price...

So what to look for?

Thanks.

On 8/14/2019 at 7:29 PM, Koen said:

How to make your choice when you want to buy / order a staking set?

I see that there are many different sets, with a big variation in price...

So what to look for?

Thanks.

Hi Koen,

I have a vintage Kendrick & Davis staking set in good used condition if you're interested.

Best,

Melvin

If you are buying second hand. Make sure all is in very good condition, make sure the punches are all good and not blocked, lining up is correct, do not buy rusty sets. The staking tool can move and it rotates with ease. It s a plus that the box is in good condition. I have seen many good ones on ebay.  

I have heard of star they make a lot of watchmakers tools lathes being one, jeweling another That staking outfit looks good, the only thing I don't see with it is a balance staff removal tool. I nice new set so all should be in very good.  You cant go wrong. 

1 hour ago, Koen said:

Thanks for the info...

Thinking of buying this one... so I have also a jewel press @ same time.

https://www.boley.de/en/shop/7597.staking-tooland-friction-jewelling-outfit/606746.staking-tool

Frankly, I think it would be better to buy a good second-hand staking set and a separate jewelling tool. You can't easily correct the endshake with something like that. A Horia with a micrometric screw would be much better.

1 hour ago, Nutiborskoku said:

Frankly, I think it would be better to buy a good second-hand staking set and a separate jewelling tool. You can't easily correct the endshake with something like that. A Horia with a micrometric screw would be much better.

Hey Nuti... can't use 2e hand... need invoices so I can get the VAT back and bring it in as cost for the business, thats the main reason. And I like to work with new tools. ;-)

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I have heard of star they make a lot of watchmakers tools lathes being one, jeweling another That staking outfit looks good, the only thing I don't see with it is a balance staff removal tool. I nice new set so all should be in very good.  You cant go wrong. 

This set is recommended by a person who works in a watch service center, so hope it's a good one. Buying staking and jewel tool separated new is double price. :blink:

Edited by Koen

On 9/9/2019 at 9:19 AM, oldhippy said:

I don't see with it is a balance staff removal tool.

The answer from the supplier:

yes, a balance staff removal tool is part of this set as well.