My First Staking Set Advice

Thank you Frank,

what about this one?

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/triebnietmaschine-punzen-uhrmacherwerkzeug-von-welo/333941589-156-8266

To me it looks quite well. I looked at cousins. They have an Indian made staking set, but I don't believe in cheak tools. The Bergeon set is a 1000 EUR. No way to spend that much money for someone who is doing that for pleasure.

Cheers Alexander

Hi Alexander,

the last (Welo)  is ok, it is (east-)German quality. Punch number is a little bit limited and the anvil surface not as strictly flat as Boley`s, comes from machine polishing.

The Indian machines with at least 80 punches are not bad, I know them. Drawback is, the punches are thicker than the standard 4.7mm. But for the money you may also get a good European brand, used.

Of course I did not mean to buy a new Swiss or German one!

Frank

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm sure this subject has been done to death but for someone on a fixed income and limited knowledge any help would be appreciated. I am pondering on purchasing a staking set and would like advise on the following:-  Would it be better to purchase a set from the Bay for around £200.The down side being condition, stakes missing etc plus the costly postage etc OR puchase an Indian set from Cousins at around £270 with the knowledge that it will be in new condition. There is often STAR sets up for sale..Anyone had experience of these?

• jdm pinned this topic
On 10/5/2014 at 3:39 AM, Lawson said:

But eureka!  I got one that fits the bill (including cannon pinion resizers, and a micrometer for jewel replacement), and wasn't going to let it pass up, or let one of you buggers snag it before me this time.  

that's the "inverto" model isn't it?  very nice set.  I've got I think the same set but am missing the lever on the jewel setting bit, and the box top.  How someone as careful as a watchmaker has to be loses the wood box top is anyone's guess, oh well.

Sets are quite common on the classifieds it seems and it does not hurt to have a few.   I've had a couple of occasions where one set one will have just the thing as the variety of stakes is not the same between them all

Congrats on a great set

On 6/4/2018 at 4:02 AM, chrisdt said:

I'm sure this subject has been done to death but for someone on a fixed income and limited knowledge any help would be appreciated. I am pondering on purchasing a staking set and would like advise on the following:-  Would it be better to purchase a set from the Bay for around £200.The down side being condition, stakes missing etc plus the costly postage etc OR puchase an Indian set from Cousins at around £270 with the knowledge that it will be in new condition. There is often STAR sets up for sale..Anyone had experience of these?

Those number seem a bit high compared to what I see on the classifieds, they must be pristine.  Star are Swiss and seem like good quality.  i have or had a set, can't remember, sold some stuff lol.  Star is one of the few still in business and making Swiss watchmakers lathes

Edited by measuretwice

I can only say what types I had as I have never used or seen a set made in India. I had a Bergeon set that was handed to me from my master when he retired. I had already bought myself a complete new set, which had been made in Japan, which was very good. I have heard of STAR, I think they have be around for many years. With any second hand tools there can be pit falls, you pay your money and hope for the best. Is there anything on ebay you like the look off? If so you can message me and I’ll have a look.  

Further on this subject I have finally purchased a staking set (see pictures) Not Swiss or Indian but British made. Not often used these days the British is Best phrase. Anyway purchased these quite cheaply because they seem to attract very little attention at auction. Now I'm wondering if Ive wasted what little cash I have available for tool purchase. Anyone got any experience of this make? What are the two little wooden tools for in the foreground? Yes I know the box is broken New pine one ordered....

I also purchased a small set of Favorite stakes (final pic) These are in excellent condition but are only 4.0mm dia and 5cm long whereas the stakes in the GESCo set are 4.7mm dia and 8.5mm in length so are not interchangeable. Anyone know what type of anvil I need for the Favorite set as I would like to use them

P1010001.JPG

P1010002.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010006.JPG

My advice is be careful when purchasing a used one. My staking set is a K&D and some of the stakes have damaged tips and the two smallest holes in the plate are blocked. I have never found a way to clear them so use stumps instead. The Bergeon stakes work with the K&D but are a bit loose. The usual applies the more you pay the better chance of quality. 

Probably only dirt blocking it.....Perhaps a bristle or soak the plate face down in Napter would shift it. No you dont get something for nothing....Perhaps you never have done but with a positive attitude bargains can still be had. I go to lots of fine art sales where NON gold watches go for bargain prices and houseold auctions which usually involve house clearance items. The customers in the room have no clue what watchmakers tools are let alone the price they should pay.

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Have you tried drilling them out? Agree you don't get something for nothing these days.

Yep tried that and just broke the drills. Whatever is in the holes the material is solid and hard. I have just learn't t work around it. 

I'd give ultrasonic a try (if you haven't already) with a solvent.

Regardless of the outcome, remember to re-oil the anvil after unless you are a fan of brown.

I have been fortunate in that I have not found a need for a staking set yet. I do not change jewels (which I believe these are for) but I do see some other uses with the larger sets posted... I'm sure I fall in the camp of "replace balance complete" as I know my (current) limits and a hairspring is outside that set of limits.

I did get a bit of time last night and was able to change hands and crystal on my 5512. It's like getting a new watch! (for the price of, well, a new watch...)

PS the "compatibility PDF" posted earlier seems to be corrupted. Could that be re-posted perhaps? I'd like to have it for future reference, particularly since I just said "I won't need one", which all but guarantees I will need one tomorrow.

And for the poster looking to use the smaller diameter, shorter stakes in the larger tool, how about a sleeve, or a bored rod of appropriate diameter, which would accept the small short stakes and the top would fit and function in the larger tool? Would that work? (may have to get something made in hardenable steel which might get expensive)

• 1 month later...

Recently purchased my first staking set the punches and stakes of which are in good condition. On close examination of the anvil I notice quite a large clearance gap between the anvil and the central pivot. (see pic) Although it does not appear to be wear the anvil moves of the central point to some degree and can be locked by the rear finger wheel. Could someone please tell me if this is normal or if I need to start looking for a new tool for my 4.7mm stakes.

P1010027.JPG

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

I'm in the market for a staking set, as of right now my main use for it will be replacing broken balance staffs on wrist/pocket watches.

I see this MKS Set on eBay, wondering how it would suit the purpose/how those with more experience would rate the condition and value of the set?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-MKS-Watchmakers-Staking-Tool-Set-Boxed-Vintage-Watch-Repair-Tools/232902907138?hash=item363a185502:g:HfoAAOSw4GFbQ1DB

There is also the Bergeon 5285B available on Cousins for about £400, if it would suit well I would also be tempted to pick it up.

Thanks in advance,

If money isn't an object, buy it, as you will need one. I bought mine for £45 and it works perfectly. All the stakes are in mint condition and don't look used. (I've attached a pic) The eBay set you have your eye on has a wider selection of stakes and bottom tools than mine and they appear to be in good condition.  Personally, I think they are asking too much, but it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I was always told, buy the best tools you can afford, because if you buy cheap, then you buy twice. Quality is always remembered long after price is forgotten...1696528822_stakingset.thumb.jpg.088477ea2e5c88b44c1d19fe435a5c9b.jpg

Honestly the one in the link seems a little small in punch choice. I'd hold out for a larger set, maybe from Boley (they're very nice and usually don't go that much higher than the one you're looking at). The smaller sets have more pocket watch size punches and stakes, and they just aren't useful for wristwatches.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got my staking set! I picked up an MKS set from Japan, probably hard to tell from the pics but the set is in in amazing condition for it's age. Stakes and anvils are pretty much pristine. Box needs some TLC from light damage in transit though.

IMG_6601.JPG

IMG_6602.JPG

I have an MKS set and a Bergeon set. The MKS set is probably twice or thrice as old as the Bergeon set but the quality is outstanding. The Bergeon punches are prone to oxidisation (near every one has rust and pitting - even replacements from cousins).
The MKS punches are as good as new - same storage conditions. If I had to purchase another staking set now - MKS all the way.
The only thing I like about the Bergeon set is the inverto function. But I generally still use the MKS punches even if I'm using the Bergeon tool.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I noticed you had an MKS set in some of your videos Mark, and I think without hearing much else this gave me a lot of confidence in the set. Do you happen to know the approximate age of the set?

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

I noticed you had an MKS set in some of your videos Mark, and I think without hearing much else this gave me a lot of confidence in the set. Do you happen to know the approximate age of the set?

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

My Bergeon set was purchased around late 90s. The MKS set I am not sure as I purchased it second hand off a retired watchmaker in the 80s. I am guessing perhaps circa 1960s.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1