My First Staking Set Advice

And I'm asking because I'm ready to get myself something.

I think that my "ideal" would be a K&D 18R WITH the jeweling arm and micrometer. I see a few 18R sets, in various condition and completeness, but often lacking the jeweling arm parts.

Do the arms come up by themselves occasionally? I know I could get a jeweling tool seperate, and may have better control with one, but as I do not make any income with this "hobby" I need to control cost.

I am more than capable of restoring the pieces, so I'd compromise on visual condition for completeness.

@oldhippy, you had offered to check what's out there for others in this post. Would you be so kind as to take a trawl through the bay of E and see if anything jumps out at you? I have several on my watch list, and a decent one ended last night that I was considering, but I wasn't 100% sure on it and I want to avoid "throwing good money after bad" if I make the wrong investment.

Thanks to everyone!

PS here's a K&D book I found which lists all the pieces (at the time) which may be useful to others...

KD_staking_tools.pdf

• 6 months later...

I will not feign being an expert, but to me, this set looks pretty complete.  I have three sets (all inherited) and I only use the most basic set and the only thing I have used it for is staffing.  I looked at the ebay listing on this one--it will do you fine IMO.

This is not part of the "inverto" series which I only learned about today!!  Maybe I will use my new-found knowledge...maybe not.

Edited by LittleWatchShop

7 hours ago, oldhippy said:

might be the camera

I think so.  Here are some other views.  Looks fine to me, but I would ask the seller to do two things: 1) validate that the stakes insert smoothly into the arm, and 2) provide a top-down picture. 

2021-04-27 09_04_20-Window.png

2021-04-27 09_03_58-Window.png

2021-04-27 09_03_42-Window.png

Edited by LittleWatchShop

I stumbled across this set on Ebay Antique K & D Kendrick & Davis STAKING SET WATCHMAKER TOOL PUNCH FRAME w/ box

Normally, I might let it pass but I noticed the seller is litterally 1.5h away from my house by car so it might be better. Beside from being dusty, the stakes seems pretty complete so I'm curious what everyone think ?

I wanted a staking set but expected to buy much later. However, a possible balance restaffing prompted me to consider it now.

Edited by Xilikon

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2021 at 2:41 AM, oldhippy said:

Looks good, the only thing with me is the staking tool looks a little off center,

Your comment got me thinking and I passed. I'm really glad I did because a NOS C&E Marshall came up, totally unused and 100% complete. Including newspaper packing from Wednesday May 4th 1949

The packing paper was from THE LIFE newspaper Chicago Ill. (Same as the company)

Here is an interesting thought. I bought in on May 7th 2021 and it arrived yesterday.

thumbnailrfev.thumb.jpg.23bfe14a55a99a5411c2f54182e065aa.jpgthumbnailw.thumb.jpg.56636a74a92f74e71477b1355c493d9f.jpg

Edited by SuspectDevice
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Hi there everybody! 

I've reached the point where I really need a staking set. And it has to be a new one.

I've been looking at this one at Cousins. Anyone that have any experience with it? I know it's a cheap one but is it OK or is it all crap? 

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/staking-set

Thanks in advance! 

/Hansi

Edited by Hansi

• jdm locked and unlocked this topic
8 minutes ago, Hansi said:

I've reached the point where I really need a staking set.

You should find ample answer in the preceeding pages.

FYI, we have a section on this forum where it's considered polite for new members to introduce themselves first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

I think you would be better served by buying a used set from the likes of Star, Boley Or Bergeon.

They are top quality and spare tools are available on the net.  Is there a reason why it must be a new one.

Yeah, it's a tax reduction issue. But then again, if this set is crap I will bite the bullet. 

1 hour ago, Hansi said:

Yeah, it's a tax reduction issue. But then again, if this set is crap I will bite the bullet. 

It'd be best to buy a high quality item second hand as others have mentioned. If the staking tool is knackered from misuse the stakes and punches are still good as they're a standard diameter (4.7mm). I have a Boley set from the 1950s and they fit my much newer Bergeon tool. The staking tool itself isn't a crazy price new and the stakes crop up quite cheap on ebay if you can wait for a bargain?

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/staking-tool-bergeon-5285

Edited by Plato
Grammar

• 2 months later...

I live in a rural town with a population under 3k.  I live within 30 miles of a large metropolitan area.

This little town is a "desitination" for arts crafts, antiques, misc stuff.

Imagine my surprise to find a Little Giant in a vintage relic store.  I got it for 50 bucks.  Needs some cleaning up but otherwise functional.

I have as many staking sets as I do lathes.  Gotta find a good psychiatrist.

2021-11-23 16_11_39-20211123_151144.jpg ‎- Photos.png

• Like 3

4 hours ago, oldhippy said:

As you have others you all ready know what to look for when buying these secondhand. A few empty holes I see. For $50 what do you expect a good buy I'd say. 

This set comes in several configurations, so it is possible that this one is very close to complete as originally purchased.

I would hazard a guess that this was hardly used.  The die plate looks untouched.  It was just not kept in a controlled environment and thus the stakes took on some rust.  Cleaning up the stakes is easy--chuck them in a drill and wrap 600 grip sandpaper around them and spin away.  Does a very nice job and does not compromise the stake.

The base is not chrome plated like is common.  This must have been cheaper to manufacture.  However, because it was not plated, it does not suffer the normal pitting you see commonly with chrome plated tools.  So the base is virtually pristine.

2021-11-24 07_16_40-Little Giant.jpg ‎- Photos.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Folks:

I took the plunge and won a K&D staking set on an Ebay auction. Now I have been looking for guidance on how to clean it up and inventory what I have. I pulled down a K&D manual and have a nice listing of various tools, but nothing about refurbishing, servicing or maintenance. So.... a couple of questions.

a.) Are there do-s and don'ts about cleaning these pieces? Any recommendation of one method and agent over another?

b.) Examining the tips, quite a few need to be cleaned out and a couple could probably use some dressing. I had though about mounting them in a mini-drill press and gently touching the tip to a flat stone. Thoughts? Alternatives?

c.) I had expected each piece to have an identification code, much after the fashion of any standard drill bit. So far, no good. How can I go about inventorying what I have?

d.) Since my set is obviously well used, do I have any hope of locating additional tools or am I limited to the parts I have?

Oh, and I almost forgot. Is there some particular way of organizing all of these tools I must easily have 60 or so tools and it might help if they were in some sort of order, yes?

Opinions and guidance would be warmly appreciated.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Edited by Stymied
additional input

Please post pictures so we can see what you are up against.

If the stakes have some rust, I chuck them up in my drill motor and using 600 to 1000 grip sand paper wrapping the stake and them spin the drill.  This has been very effective.

As far as cleaning the end holes, I would put them in an ultrasonic and see if that makes some progress.

At a minimum, group the stakes by flat, round, concave and then by hole size.

21 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I would say a couple look unusable, but no big deal.  I see stakes on ebay all the time.  I buy them sometimes just for grins...not expensive.

Aren't punches a standard diameter, 4.7mm if I remember correctly? New Bergeon punches fit my old Boley, perhaps the K&D too?