My First Staking Set Advice

3 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

I guess the moderators would let good members get by this time, yet thought I should inform you, 

Well,  surely moderators will consider that you are new:geek:, I think mentioning a price goes against forums policies period. 

It is already posted only a moderator can take it down.   Don,t worry.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
16 hours ago, Dpastl said:

Wow, congrats!  I'm super jealous, I've been looking on ebay for months now trying to find one.  Perhaps i should browse the local pawn and antique shops!

I did pick up the other set. If your interested in a trade pm me.

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

Newbie here and I posted this question on someone else's thread in this forum and am not sure if I could do that so I've started a new discussion. Admins please delete if I did something wrong here.

My local thrift shop has this vintage used Boley staking set. Photos below. Do you think it's worth £95 / USD$120? Any advice is appreciated. Cheers.

Mo

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• Like 1

There looks to be many missing stakes and plugs. New stakes/plugs can be bought from good suppliers. Have a good look at what you might buy, Do the stakes line up with the holes in the bass, make sure there not blocked, the same goes for the stakes. Looks like it all needs a good clean, this can be done and it should then look fine. You can also find second hand stakes on ebay. The price is fair. Just make sure it all works and moves free.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

There looks to be many missing stakes and plugs. New stakes/plugs can be bought from good suppliers. Have a good look at what you might buy, Do the stakes line up with the holes in the bass, make sure there not blocked, the same goes for the stakes. Looks like it all needs a good clean, this can be done and it should then look fine. You can also find second hand stakes on ebay. The price is fair. Just make sure it all works and moves free.

Thanks for the advice. I will check it out. 

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Hi OH, I can think of trying each stake with a right size staff to see if things line up with the holes in the base. How else can we check for alignments.

Thanks in advance.

Make sure this part (red arrow) isn’t damaged and can lock and be freed. Some types cannot be moved so check for damage. You need to have the most pointed stake and see it it lines up center to the holes (black arrow) make sure none of the holes are damaged and not blocked. The black arrow part must be able to be un-locked and locked. All punches should be able to fit into the stand with ease. Keeping the stakes in good order and the plugs will also help in the work you will undertake when using this type of tool. It is quite easy to clean the stakes/plugs with very emery cloth or the sticks, if you have a lathe it’s even better. Don’t forget this type of tool is used a lot for watch work such as b/staffs, jeweling and riveting just to name a few. Yes if you do not have a jeweling tool but you have the right punches with a stacking tool you can use it for that. The main thing is make sure things line up.     

Excellent-watchmakers-BOLEY-STAKING-SET-riveting-punching-_1.jpg

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
On 10/13/2014 at 5:50 PM, bobm12 said:

Update:

For those that would like to add stakes and punches to their staking tool, I came across a "cross reference" apparently useful...

Cross-over-punches.pdf 1.02 MB · 139 downloads

Good morning Bob. @bobm12

Maybe it's posted again later in this thread, but I was unable to download this file. I'd like to have a copy of this cross reference please!

Thanks in advance.