Which tool for creating lume dots?

Delgetti

Question

Hello, until now I have only relumed some hands but now I have to relume a dial for a Landeron 248 project. The original lume was only 12 tiny dots at the end of the minute markers, diametre a bit smaller than 1 millimeter. How can I create such little dots and insure that all of them become the same size? Which tools/techniques do you use? Thanks in advance. 

2 answers to this question

I’ve  used pens like these https://www.artsupplies.co.uk/item-joseph-gillott-mapping-pen-set.htm, but also heard of others using an old oiler.

I tried using an oiler but found it less controllable. Takes a bit of practice putting drops on a piece of plastic or similar. You also need good magnification and good lighting.

I’ve only used lume with a water based acrylic binder. It tends to dry very quickly and I suspect an oil based lume may be easier to use.

• Like 1

• Similar Content

• By richiesgr
      Hi 
      So I followed Mark course and I would like to use the ST3600 to build a custom watch.
      I've already buy a case on the photo. but I've some questions:
      What need to be the size of the dial when i measure inside the case there is multiple level each of them have different size like 33.61, 35.56, 36.51, 37.32 from bottom to top What need to be the size of the hands of if it matters at all. The case come without any casing ring or lung so what I'm supposed to use to secure the movement into the case ? Thanks 

• By dpn
      Hi all,
      I'm getting really close to manufacturing my first run of custom dials. I'm not ready to share a lot of details yet, but I would sincerely appreciate some advice on adhesives.
      My dials will be featuring a 0.25 mm height steel chapter ring attached directly to the top of the dial material.
      I'm certainly not planning anything stupid like using cyanoacrylate glue to bond the chapter rings to the dials.
      I'm hoping for something low viscosity that can be applied carefully and will take a bit of time to set before curing. I'm looking for low viscosity because of the tight tolerances involved; height matters a lot here. I'm hoping for something that will be at least a little bit malleable, as I will need to align the chapter rings manually before they set and cure. (I really, really wish I could build some feet into the chapter rings and put them into alignment holes on the dial, but that's not possible for reasons that will become apparent once I disclose the dial material. I will need to align the chapter rings based on the stem location and with the aide of a spare crystal-less case that has an indexed bezel I'll be fixing in place.)
      Right now, I'm looking at GS Crystal Hypo Cement as the best potential adhesive. It should give me 10-15 seconds of manipulation before it sets, and I hope that I can use a small enough quantity in a few key places to keep the chapter ring secure and as flush as possible to the dial surface.
      Another alternative would be a two-part epoxy that I've thinned with alcohol or acetone. Since I don't need a hugely strong bond, the fact that solvent will weaken the epoxy isn't a huge concern. Thinning the epoxy with solvent would also extend its curing time, and I really don't want to have to try to hold down the chapter ring in perfect alignment by hand for an extended period of time before it sets.
      Please let me know what the best way to proceed here would be. Specific brand recommendations are especially appreciated. Of course I can practice, but due to the cost and difficulty of prepping the dial materials, I'd prefer to minimize losing materials here and to get my process right quickly.
      Thanks in advance for any advice,
      Dan
      (I've been documenting my research, design, and manufacturing steps to date and will be sharing information about my project when I am closer to the finish. This has been a fascinating journey into horology, lapidary, woodworking, CAD, and laser cutting for me.)
    • By Flubber
      I've got an old Nvidia Ladies Watch with an ETA 2360 movement that I'm trying to get up and running. The movement looks nice and in good shape and luckily I also have som spare parts lying around. The dial is mounted with tiny screws on the sude of the movement. There seems to have been som moisture ingress into the movement since I can see traces of rust and, of course, one if the dial screws has rusted pretty bad so I'm unable too remove the dial. I can see the groove in the screw and I can fit a screwdiver there but the screw is really stuck. I've tried putting some WD40 on it and letting it soak for a day but to no avail. 

How can I remove the screw ? I have extra screws if needed so I don't need the stuck screw.
    • By sunday
      Hello, I'm building a watch using a Sellita SW200 and I bought an ETA 2824 dial.  The dial has four feet and so does my movement, but they don't line up, the ones on the dial are too far apart relative to the movement.  I think if I cut off two feet I can make it fit but I'm not 100% sure.
      Is this a common scenario?
    • By PaulnKC
      All,
      After some exposure to the ETA/Unitas 6497/8 movements (from Mark's courses) - I have become interested in "making" (assembling) a few wristwatches using those movements.

I would really like to find (or have made) a simple dial like this (attached) - except for a 6498.

Not an exact copy - of course. But something with the same "vib" (light cream color with green lume markers).

Does anyone know anyone that would make a one-off custom? Or has anyone seen something like this?

Many thanks and kind regards,
      -Paul