And Then I Spotted This One!

WillFly

Got back to the B&B and relaxed with eBay. Checked my Watch List and saw there were no bids on this - so I snapped it up. It's another typical 1930s/1940s watch with a nice, if slightly worn dial. Never heard of Ralco? It's Movado by another name. The Ralco name comes from the initials of three of the Ditesheim family (owners of Movado), Roger, Armand and Lucien.

post-64-0-66265500-1409926360_thumb.jpg

Well, I opened up the parcel containing the little Ralco yesterday and gave the crown a twist. Spun round like silk and started instantly. I had a little wrench getting the screw case cover off - it's one of those un-notched, octagonal cases with an  inner seal - but the Jaxa case tool did the job in the end. I doubt that's it's been opened since the 1930s or '40s! Anyway, it's as clean as a whistle and running to the second this morning. Not bad for £18... These little watches - and this one is just 28mm without crown - are very unfashionable these days, but I love them. The movement is lovely, and I'm going to do some research on the calibre, which may or may not be Movado. No restoration for this one - just a polish over the stainless steel case with a silver cloth.

post-64-0-69496300-1410420202_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-24070200-1410420212_thumb.jpg

Looks like an AS1187.

You may need to take the dial off to find the calibre mark and if I'm right then you should also see a quadrant of minute indices so that the movement could be timed and regulated (using just a minute hand and a microscope to check against a reference) without having to install the dial.

It's a very competent little movement that found it's way into watches from quite a number of different makers right the way across the quality spectrum.

Thanks Marc - it is indeed an AS 1187 - with a slightly different setting for the right-hand jewel on the bridge. By coincidence I was trawling through the Ranfft pages when I stopped to check the forum posts - must have skipped over this one!