case-back glue

Jim

Hi I thought someone might be able to help me with gluing a crystal in an open case-back.  I have tried two different types of UV glue and g & s   all of which have eventually failed   the g&S lasted ^ months but did finally fail.    I will attach 2  photos one of the case back and on of the glues for review.   I am thinking silicone but not convinced? btw  the sapphire blank fits perfectly.

Sincere   thanks 

Jim

caseback2.jpg

glue2.jpg

Are display backs usually press fit ? This one sounds like could use a bit of glue as well as the "lip" is kind of small. Maybe it's just the picture though...

Silicone won't hold it if you tried other glue types and it didn't work...

I was thinking the same as the others, presentation case backs are normally press fit i think (never really done much work on them so i could be wrong) still if the crystal occupies the space without shake then its strange that you cant cement it effectively. (though i would advise against trying to cement any mineral/sapphire with GS, its just not that strong, better suited to re inforcing the weak friction fit of an acrylic.) 
Was this the original crystal or a replacement? 

Edited by Ishima

Crystal shouldn't fit perfectly. Needs to be 0.1 or 0.01 bigger (Can't remember) and press fitted. Suggest you measure your existing crystal and order a couple of cheap mineral glasses .1 and .2 bigger to find perfect press fit. Then you have 2 options. Leave the crystal in or order a sapphire replacement

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

More information   from the factory this watch case didn't work properly  the original case back gasket and original crystal for the back popped out and were lost  during a flight when it was relatively new.  I am not sure if this had to do with the pressure in the cabin but doubtful.   Raymond Weil is the

1 hour ago, digginstony said:

name on the watch with an eta movement in the watch.   I have looked for a case gasket and no luck.  Finding parts for cases in designer watches has always been difficult for me. 

The blank in the photo is sapphire  

If I try to press anything into straight metal a fear it will crack    it would need a gasket of some sort. 

Sincerely

Jim

More information   from the factory this watch case didn't work properly  the original case back gasket and original crystal for the back popped out and were lost  during a flight when it was relatively new.  I am not sure if this had to do with the pressure in the cabin but doubtful.   Raymond Weil is the
name on the watch with an eta movement in the watch.   I have looked for a case gasket and no luck.  Finding parts for cases in designer watches has always been difficult for me. 
The blank in the photo is sapphire  

If I try to press anything into straight metal a fear it will crack    it would need a gasket of some sort. 

Sincerely
Jim

If life was so easy. Even with a gasket there's always a chance of a crystal cracking particularly sapphire as they tend to be more brittle. I've just finished restoring an old Bucherer. It didn't have a gasket and as with many old vintage watches didn't have any water resistance to speak of. I just popped a new crystal in without a gasket and had no issues. Even if it falls out again, you've only lost a few pounds?
Increments go up in one hundreds 0.01. So why not buy a couple of crystals oversized of each .start of with the smaller if it goes in but has any movement go to the next size up. If they crack, so what, there only a couple of quid each. If you get one in ok forget the sapphire, at least you have a watch that can be used.
A designer watch I normally associate as a cheap bit of "bleep" with a cheap movement in. Your watch is a classy micro brand.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1