How do I remove shock springs in Smiths Cal 0104

mikepilk

27 minutes ago, Gpsluvr said:

You almost got it. It is connected to the bar and creates a hinge so it won’t get lost. When you rotate the spring ccw to the gap, it will pop up, rotating on the bar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks. Sounds like a better design than some (e.g. Seiko) that are only too keen to ping-off never to be seen again!

25 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

Sounds like a better design than some (e.g. Seiko) that are only too keen to ping-off never to be seen again!

When parts fly away the problem is with the person that does the job, not the design.
Check my video showing Diashock installation technique using a carved toothpick.

8 minutes ago, jdm said:

When parts fly away the problem is with the person that does the job, not the design.
Check my video showing Diashock installation technique using a carved toothpick.

That's the way I did it in the end - not that difficult on the larger ones on the balance. It's the smaller ones on the train that I struggled with.  

It's not good engineering as they are relatively difficult to fit,  compared to the Kif, Incabloc, where you are less likely to lose them.

Maybe that Kif/Incabloc have enough patents to stop similar designs. 

1 minute ago, mikepilk said:

That's the way I did it in the end - not that difficult on the larger ones on the balance. It's the smaller ones on the train that I struggled with.  

Small ones can be safely and cleaned together with the place. 

1 minute ago, mikepilk said:

It's not good engineering as they are relatively difficult to fit,  compared to the Kif, Incabloc, where you are less likely to lose them. Maybe that Kif/Incabloc have enough patents to stop similar designs. 

Again, that's your opinion. But with millions (?) of units produced, Diashock is an excellent shock system which poses no problem when handled properly.

17 hours ago, jdm said:

Small ones can be safely and cleaned together with the place. 

Again, that's your opinion. But with millions (?) of units produced, Diashock is an excellent shock system which poses no problem when handled properly.

No it's not my opinion - one is a better engineering solution than the other. 

• Confused 1

You have to admit however, there is nothing like having a part fly away into oblivion, hearing the report of it's vicinity and successfully finding it with the broom. I don't think I have ever been closer to God and Jesus than when I decided to take up collecting and repairing as a hobby. "Thank you God ohh thank you Jesus" LOL...! Can I get an Amen..!?!?

• Like 1

You have to admit however, there is nothing like having a part fly away into oblivion, hearing the report of it's vicinity and successfully finding it with the broom. I don't think I have ever been closer to God and Jesus than when I decided to take up collecting and repairing as a hobby. "Thank you God ohh thank you Jesus" LOL...! Can I get an Amen..!?!?
Amen [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would also like to add, however good or an expert one might be, it is inevitable that very fine parts will at some point go missing or ping away.(to be found or not) It is just the nature of the craft. We can lessen the events with due diligence and preparedness. With time and practice I have noticed a definite decrease of incidences in my own work. I also have a pull out "catch all" that has saved me time and heartbeats on many occasions. If you've never gone wide eyed, open mouthed gasping in horror at the floor, you're doing it wrong! LOL...!

10 hours ago, Pip said:

Amen brother! Although I have been known to use different words when the part has disappeared...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes indeed, depending on the piece I'm working on I usually just sob for awhile, curse my existence and then just move on after searching around on the floor for the better part of an hour like some crack fiend. LOL.....

after searching around on the floor for the better part of an hour like some crack fiend. LOL.....

You forgot to add, “while hoping my wife doesn’t come into the room and find me.” ????????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

On 12/26/2017 at 7:06 AM, wolfwatchwerks said:

Yes indeed, depending on the piece I'm working on I usually just sob for awhile, curse my existence and then just move on after searching around on the floor for the better part of an hour like some crack fiend. LOL.....

My skills are improving, but I still get careless and the occasional part pings off the table.

My first search is using a powerful torch

Then I uset a strong Neodinium magnet to sweep the area.

Finally, I empty the Dyson, and vacuum the hole desk, me, room and examine the contents.  The time I've wasted ......

Until I perfected the art (and realised a slighly soft surface helps a lot), I had problems with cap jewels - like playiing tiddly winks, and not being magnetic even harder to find. 

• Like 1

My skills are improving, but I still get careless and the occasional part pings off the table.
My first search is using a powerful torch
Then I uset a strong Neodinium magnet to sweep the area.
Finally, I empty the Dyson, and vacuum the hole desk, me, room and examine the contents.  The time I've wasted ......
Until I perfected the art (and realised a slighly soft surface helps a lot), I had problems with cap jewels - like playiing tiddly winks, and not being magnetic even harder to find. 
We all loose parts from time to time. Good tweezers such as Dumont help and when dressing them; leave a slightly rough inner surface near the tip makes a big difference [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, digginstony said:

We all loose parts from time to time. Good tweezers such as Dumont help and when dressing them; leave a slightly rough inner surface near the tip makes a big difference emoji16.png

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I've just this minute finished dressing my Dumont #2 with some medium wet and dry !

I removed the shock springs by turning them - I like them

Much easier than Diashock

Edited by mikepilk